1. Default San Fran to Santa Barbara

me and 4 friends have been staying in San Fran and must get to Santa Barbara to meet friends. We want to do some sight seeing on the way and are looking for suggestions for a route.

We want to go to Yosemite and Death valley. This trip will be done on a budget so any tips on cheap/free sites and activities are appreciated. We are going to rent a car here for a week and drop it off when we arrive in SB

suggestions please!!

Default Big detour to Santa Barbara!

But a fun one, so it's all good. Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

This 900 mile drive an easily be done in a week. You could easily do this for only the cost of your campsites and entry fees into the national parks. (And gas, of course.) Just eat out of a cooler most meals, replenishing from grocery stores along the way. You will want campground reservations though as these parks are quite busy in the summer. I wouldn't suggest camping in Death Valley in the summer though.

If you're on a budget, you should know that all one-way car rentals have a drop-off fee. You will want to check into rental rates and drop-off fees. Shop around as the fees can vary depending on specific office and dates, even within the same rental agency.

3. Default

i saw the one way drop off fee mentioned in another thread aswell. Budget seems to be the best deal. Yosemite may be out of the question now due to the fires blazing near there so we may hit lake tahoe and we heard something about a ghost town also near there

Default Yosemite update

Quote Originally Posted by martin86w View Post
    i saw the one way drop off fee mentioned in another thread aswell. Budget seems to be the best deal. Yosemite may be out of the question now due to the fires blazing near there so we may hit lake tahoe and we heard something about a ghost town also near there
    Here's the latest info from the N.P.S. and it looks o.k to go through at the moment and the smoke is clearing.

I would imagine that it is Bodie ghost town that you are referring to which is located just north of Mono lake and can be visited from either Lake Tahoe or Yosemite by going over the Tioga pass.