1. Default need advice for frugal trip from vancouver bc to san fran ca for 10 days down 101

from vancouver bc to san fran ca down 101...how much$$$ if camping?

my gal and I are planning to take 2 weeks off travelling from vancouver bc down through olympia wa and then down the oregon 101 to san francisco (I once bicycled it from toronto across canada and then down to san fran back in '82...loved it!)...so i wish to revisit this gorgeous highway and share it with her...

--we'll be leaving last wk of aug and 1st wk of sept...we were going to be camping a good part of the way to save on some cash but just wonder if there are any great places to stay that offer great bang for the buck (and some unique bars/restaurants)...and where in san francisco to stay that is a good value, too?

--both our cars are old and so does anyone know of any forums where one can 'rent' a person's car for a good rate? (yeah i know i'm fumbling here, but the alternative is a rental car company and that could get pricey, too, for 12 days once you add insurance, km driven, taxes etc.).

--lastly, instead of returning up the 101 back home (heading north) we'd like to try something different, ie, some wineries and such...any particularly nice routes heading north from san fran to back home to vancouver bc that one can recommend?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-28-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Email Removed - Keep responses on the Forum

Default starting

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

both our cars are old and so does anyone know of any forums where one can 'rent' a person's car for a good rate?
    I don't know anything, other than car rental agencies, that would do what it seems you want. Quite frankly, the legal ramifications of doing what you describe would be a pretty big nightmare. A personal auto insurance policy would basically be nullified by turning a personal car into a rental, and crossing an international border driving someone elses car could invite a whole new set of problems.

--any particularly nice routes heading north from san fran to back home to vancouver bc that one can recommend?
    I think I'd take the I-5 with plenty of detours for the many inland attractions along the way, like Sequoia, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens, etc.

3. Default

yeah, wasn't well thought out...will look into car rental companies as per any corporate or extended deals, esp given the lacklustre tourist season with the gas woes and precarious state of the economy.

Default I agree with Michael...

...just want to add this. How much would it cost to get one of your cars road-worthy? I'm thinking that you might put the money for car rental into one of your cars. This way, when the trip is over, you still have the car. Just a thought. It may not work but, if it does, it's money well-spent, imho.

5. Default van bc to san fran ca along 101 and then need alternative return route?

van bc to san fran ca along 101 and then need alternative return route?

My girlfriend and I are going to go from vancouver bc to san francisco (and then maybe to Reno, Ca even once there)...and would like to know some good coastal cities to stop along and visit...and then after visiting san francisco are considering going more interior back north (visiting napa/sonoma valleys, too)...any suggestions for scenic routes back east that offer a good bang for the buck (we could do the 101 back north, too, but want some alternatives).

thanks
    joe
    vancouver bc
    host city 2010 winter olympics
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-03-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts for same trip

Default We've got lots of info here that will help you sort that out

Go here and follow the links. You should also get good ideas from these roadtrip reports: Redwoods to Seattle and Crater Lake/Mt. St. Helens.

If it were me, I'd go south via 101 on the coast, and return home from Reno like this. Both drives are beautiful and very different from each other.

ETA: If you don't go to Reno, you could go home via I-5 the whole way or just take I-5 as far as Weed CA, and then take 97 to Klamath Falls and pick up the rest of the suggestions in the map from there.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 08-03-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added further comment