1. Default 7 days from San Diego and back, family, please help

we are planning a 7 day trip leaving San Diego on 14th August-yes, just over 2 weeks away- with 3 young kids. Just want to see some desert landscapes and classic western towns with maybe one night at G.C. and one night Las Vegas. Back to San Diego on 21st or 22nd. It will obviously be pretty hot so sightseeing from airconditioned car and arriving at motels with a pool and a tv to watch olympics might be all we manage. maybe-Joshua Tree, Sedona, G.C., Las vegas?. Would love suggestions of a route and places to stay, anything we really must see, or interesting for kids. Also we havn't booked accommodation- any suggestions especially at G. C. -I guess we are late now- do we need to book all our accommodation now or just roll up? Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Default May I Suggest Adding a Southern Portion?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Kids are actually amazingly easy to entertain on RoadTrips. If you just stop every few hours at even a relatively low-key road side attraction and let them get some activity and (sshhh - don't let them hear) maybe a little education, they're usually happy. I recently did the round trip from my home in southern Arizona to the OC with my two grandsons and on the way had great stops at Yuma Territorial Prison and Desert View Tower in Jacumba, CA. If you add Tucson to your loop drive, you can not only visit those sites but also the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (actually more like a zoo), the West Unit of Saguaro National Park (be sure to watch the movie), and Old Tucson Studios, all in close proximity to each other. You would then work north through Phoenix where a stop at McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park might be in order and then up through Sedona and Red Rock country where the most popular spot among kids is Slide Rock State Park north of town in Oak Creek Canyon. After that it should be easy, what with the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and Joshua Tree.

As far as booking in or around the Grand Canyon, with as many trips as people are canceling these days, it wouldn't hurt to call the Park and see if anything is available at El Tovar or any of the other Lodges in the Park. You might be surprised. Also check in Tusayan, just south of the Park, or in nearby Flagstaff or Williams. I don't think, though, that I'd just roll up - it is peak season.

AZBuck

3. Default Thanks, and a question

Thanks a lot AZbuck for your suggestions, I will look up those links. Also I think I read about a meteor crater near Sedona[?]-do you know if that is worth detouring to?
    Also you mentioned calling the park. I wonder do you have a contact -either phone or website for central booking of G.C. lodges? Thanks a lot for your help. Juliette.

Default Sure

Meteor Crater (or Barringer Crater) is about 85 miles from Sedona. I loved this place, but then I'm a Geologist. To other people it's just a big hole in the ground. There is a small visitors center with an overlook of the crater, but I'm not sure how much access, if any, the general public has to the rim. I know you cannot hike into it.

Reservations for the Lodges at the Grand Canyon are handled by Xanterra. If you follow the links to Lodging and Contact Us, you'll find a phone number as well

AZBuck

5. Default 29palms CA to Grand canyon-where to stop in between??

Hello, we are travelling with 3 children and now have accomodation booked at 29palms for the 14th-16th August and at Grand canyon village on 19th August. So-I would be grateful for suggestions of where to stay and what to see in between[3 nights]. would like to see sedona area maybe. would like maybe one night on route and then 2 nights in nice hotel/motel [with pool and view?] near sedona. Anything definitely to see in the area, especially with young kids. Any classic western towns for overnight stop? The most scenic route? Thanks a lot for any advice you can give me. Regards, Juliette.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-01-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create a new thread for questions about the same trip

Default No Shortage of Activities

That area of northern Arizona is just awash in scenic and interesting places, and the roads are all going to be an adventure for you, so you really can't go wrong. Let me first point you to a few resources to get you started. Here are 4 great side trips to lesser known National Parks that you should look at including as you make your way around and here are some of my favorite (and kid friendly) sites near Sedona and the Grand Canyon. In Sedona, be sure to get a "Red Rocks Pass" at one of the Visitors Centers. These passes are required to park along the roads and at trailheads in the area. My favorite hike around Sedona is the West Fork Trail and on the way there a stop at Slide Rock State park. While we're at it, that whole drive from Sedona up to Flagstaff on AZ-89A is a great scenic drive. Besides Sedona (which can get pricey) other towns to look at in the area for a 'base camp' on your way to the Grand Canyon include Wickenburg and Prescott.

AZBuck