1. Default Yosemite or Grand Canyon???

I'm planning a 6-days roadtrip in August from Las Vegas. I have prepared 2 alternatives, but I'm really having a hard time choosing which should I follow.

Any advice? (Any is welcome!)

Option 1
    Las Vegas
    Bryce Canyon
    Capitol Reef
    Monument Valley
    Grand Canyon
    Los Angeles
    Las Vegas

Option 2
    Las Vegas
    Death Valley
    Santa Barbara / Los Angeles
    Las Vegas

South of England.

Default Does'nt get tougher than that!

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums

What a choice,both options are amazing and there is no right or wrong answer.

This report shows the areas you are considering and may help you decide.

Given your time frame i think that visiting Los Angeles and having any sort of time there will stretch either of your options and make them feel a little rushed.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions :-)
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-27-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added info

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Option 3

I agree with Dave, choosing asking us to choose between the 2 is like asking us to decide if you want chicken or steak for dinner. Either can be a the right choice depending upon what you are looking for. Having said that, with 6 days to work with and if going to LA is a priority, I think I would chose Yosemite simply because logistically is is a lot fewer miles and would be a lot less stressful than trying to do a Utah/Arizona loop, detour all the way to LA, and then come back to Vegas on your timeline.

I will offer on other idea. Instead of choosing between Yosemite or Grand Canyon, you could build an itinerary that includes both parks. You'd have to trim out some things - likely including Los Angeles - but with the time it would take to do either of these itineraries, you could do a trip that hits both parks you asked about.

4. Default

How long were you planning on staying in each place?

I just did a whirlwind 18 days out west and I would pick Yosemite in a heartbeat if you had some time. I did Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley and Sequoia each in a day - Yosemite took me 3 days and I love each and every minute.

Hope that helps!

5. Default Finally

Thank you everybody for the advice.

Finally I will go towards the East:

Day 1: Zion NP and Bryce Canyon
    Day 2: Bryce, Page and Monument Valley (to Mexican Hat)
    Day 3: Monument Valley and Grand Canyon
    Day 4: Hoover Dam and Las Vegas
    Day 5: Death Valley and back to Las Vegas

In average, I'll have to drive for 4:45 hours each day... I hope it's not too much.

South of England.

Default Nice relaxed trip.

Welcome back.

A tough choice but they have to be made!

In average, I'll have to drive for 4:45 hours each day... I hope it's not too much.
    Expect to spend longer than this during certain days, but with your route the driving times will be broken up a lot with stops and easily manageable.

From M/V I presume you will enter G/C by it's east entrance [Desert view drive] and depart from the south end for Vegas. That will maximize your time exploring there.

Although it will add time to your journey have you considered taken part of the original route' 66 between G/C and Hoover dam through Seligman, we found it to be worth it with the quirky shops and towns.

If there is anything else you would like to know or unsure of on your trip let us know, otherwise have a great trip!