Default Denver to Orlando, the Winding Way

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I are getting ready to leave next Friday on a roadtrip from Denver to Orlando, to begin an internship at Walt Disney World!

Here is our proposed route:

We plan to stop overnight in
    Salina,
    Kansas City, MO
    Saint Louis
    Indianapolis
    Memphis
    New Orleans
    Panama City, FL

This will be the road trip mobile:

1999 BMW 750iL

My favorite place to spend a few thousand miles:

We leave August 1st, and have to be IN ORLANDO on the 10th. We have hotels booked in Memphis for the 6th, New Orleans the night of the 7th and 8th, Panama City the night of the 9th and Orlando the night of the 10th.

I have a few questions:

We would like to take some "back roads." The reason we are leaving so early is to take a relaxing road trip. Normally when I road trip I get on the highway and haul to where I'm going. Not this time. Is it worth it to take "back roads" through KS or just I-70?

What are some fantastic greasy spoons along the route? Greasier the better :)

Is New Orleans parking safe? We are staying at the Intercontinental downtown, and they have a $29/day parking garage. I just want to make sure it will be safe to leave the car there.

I am totally open to suggestions from everyone! We plan to take tons of pictures and video and to make a video of the trip when we get to Orlando!

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
    Is it worth it to take "back roads" through KS or just I-70?
    I find that it is always worth it to take "back roads" or at least routes other than the Interstate, where possible, to get a good feel for a place.

What are some fantastic greasy spoons along the route? Greasier the better :)
    I've never equated greasy spoons with fantastic, but if you hit those side routes, you're bound to find something to your liking. Still, it isn't like it used to be, say, thirty years ago (not that I'd know).

Is New Orleans parking safe?
    Do you know if the parking garage is secured, with guards on duty, or is it a typical city parking garage with just an attendant to take your money?

Default Roads, Yellow Brick and Otherwise

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I've driven through Kansas on Both I-70 and the 'back roads' and while the scenery is the same, your appreciation of it isn't. On I-70 I once stopped at the Information Center just west of Kansas City and asked what there most frequent question was, thinking I'd find out about a popular Kansas attraction. It turned out that it was "How long to get to Denver?" On the other hand, on my drive through the state on US-54/US-56 I could get the rhythm of the towns and farms, and see some of the last tall grass prairie in the country. One memorable stop was in Greensburg which boasted the "World's Biggest Hand Dug Well", but serendipitously also had a great meteorite collection housed at the site. Greensburg got literally blown away in a tornado a little while back and is currently completely rebuilding itself as a 'green' city. Anyway - any time you can take to get to know another part of the country rather than just whizzing through on the freeway is time well spent. If you have the time I'd take US-50 to Dodge City, US-54 across southern Kansas, and then at Fort Smith (the calvary fort is worth a visit) take US-69 up to KC.

As someone who had his car broken into in New Orleans (admittedly during Mardi Gras on a poorly lit side street) I'd spend the bucks to put that baby somewhere out of sight.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I find that it is always worth it to take "back roads" or at least routes other than the Interstate, where possible, to get a good feel for a place.

I've never equated greasy spoons with fantastic, but if you hit those side routes, you're bound to find something to your liking. Still, it isn't like it used to be, say, thirty years ago (not that I'd know).

Do you know if the parking garage is secured, with guards on duty, or is it a typical city parking garage with just an attendant to take your money?

Thank you! I love the places they feature on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on the Food Network. What can I say, I have inherited my father's taste for "fine" foods :-D

The parking garage is, according to the hotel website, gated and lit, and is for hotel customer's use only. I am hoping that at $29/day it offers some measure of protection.

AZBuck: Thank you that is what I was wanting to know about the backroads. In my mind I was imagining the same sights at the highway, only at a slower speed, but it sounds like it is worth taking them! We are staying with a friend in Salina, so I will look into your suggestions try to find the best route that will take us there and onto KC.

Oh and if your handle is your true name, you are on of the few people I know who I share a first name with ;-)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-24-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Complete quote of previous post deleted

Default I liked that photo

Quote Originally Posted by board57796 View Post
    Thank you! I love the places they feature on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on the Food Network.
    Our colleagues run the Road Food site -- and you will probably find plenty of that there. I liked the juxtaposition of the Beemer with the train engine....

Mark