1. Default Los Angeles to St. Louis

Hello-My family, 2 kids ages 12 and 10 my hubby and myself are embarking on our first road trip to St. Louis from Los Angeles. Any tips from you seasoned travelers? Appreciate the help, I am a little nervous about this whole experience. My other half wants to make it to Albuquerque for the first night, the second night to Okalahoma city and so on. Any tips on where to stay, eat, see would be great. We as everyone else, are on a tight budget.

Tucson, AZ

Default About that First Day

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Normally, we recommend driving no more than around 550 miles a day for sustained cross-country trips. Where kids are involved, or where the objective is to see stuff along the way, that would, of course, have to be cut back, Unfortunately Los Angeles to Albuquerque is 800 miles. I just don't think that is going to be possible. Even if it were, the only way to do it would be to zoom by the Mojave National Preserve, the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest and Petroglyph National Monument. Your next two days are more reasonable at 550 and 500 miles. The one place between Albuquerque and St Louis that I'd be sure to make time for is the bombing memorial in Oklahoma City.

But sadly, unless you can add another entire day to this trip, it's really going to be about what you can see from the Interstate and not much else.

3. Default Thanks AZBuck!

Thanks for the tips! I will pass this along to my hubby. I am just a nervous Nelly, but we are all excited too. If anyone out there is nice enough to pass tips on what hotels, areas to avoid along the trip, we would be most grateful.
    Have a nice day AZBuck!

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Default LA to Albuquerque

Iíve driven from Albuquerque straight through to L.A. (and back) several times. Itís a long haul, and Buck is right, you really wonít have much time for sightseeing. It would be nice if you could add one more day to your trip.

Any tips on where to stay, eat, see would be great.
    Hereís a map of Albuquerque showing where some restaurants, museums, and other points of interest are located. I just got done adding links for all the placemarks.

Have a great trip!

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

Try to get off the interstate and drive portions of Route 66 as you will be following it.

Outside of OKC, there is a new place called Pops with a huge neon soda bottle and offering over 500 kinds of pop. Then, there's Lucinda's Roadhouse in Oklahoma.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Motels

For vintage Route 66 motels, popular during the route's heyday, check out the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook AZ, El Rancho in Gallup NM, and Blue Swallow in Tucamcari NM.

But, really, at the rate you're traveling, I think you'll be fine finding a family motel at most any major exit along the interstate with motels. If, for some reason, you get a bad vibe, obviously you should drive on down the road and try again. But this should rarely be a problem. Just watch for all the signs along the road pointing to motels. Some exits will have a large selection to choose from. Most any motel from a well-known chain should be just fine.