1. Default Badlands, S.D. to Yellowstone to RMNP??

I am looking for interesting places to see this summer along my travel route from Pa to RMNP. My plan is Pa to WI, across 90 to the Black Hills, into Sheridan WY, across to Cody and thru Yellowstone down to the Tetons, then down the Togwotee Trail and ending up in RMNP. I have gone as far as the Devils Tower on a past trip but am taking several people who have never been through much of our planned travel route. We have all been to RMNP several times so I guess between there and the Black Hills is where I need the most help. Any interesting small towns or stops that would make this trip more than just another "tourist" trip would be welcome. ( Local eateries, shops, attractions, places of interest, historical)

Thanks in advance for the imput.

Tucson, AZ

Default Through the Eyes of Others

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

One of the great underutilized aspects of RoadTrip America is the access to the reports of others who have been to the areas you want to go and have maybe found those out-of-the-way things you're looking for. That area of South Dakota and adjoining states has been particularly well reported on by Peter Thody and Arizona Bob.

3. Default

Thanks AZbuck, I will check it out. This is an awsome site for information and planing of your trip, just wish I would have found it a few years ago!!

4. Default things to do in SD

Good luck to you! I am doing a similar trip myself, but for the first time. Long Island NY-Niagara Falls-Lake Michigan-SD-WY and home. Anyway, I have found that there is a NP just outside of the Badlands area, it is the Minuteman Missle NP, there are daily tours see the website. There are also other goofy things along the road of RT 90, like the Mitchell, SD Corn Palace. There are also a couple of Pow WOWs scheduled for August. One is the first weekend in August and is right in the area of the Badlands or Black Hills. I google Pow Wow SD and eventual found all the info. Good luck and have fun!

FWIW Minuteman NP is a great place if you like history and it is about 10 minutes outside of Badlands NP. they take you on a tour of an underground ballistic missle launch facility. very cool. it is a good half day with the NPS tour which is the only way to get into the launch facility.