1. Default Best companies to rent from...

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to give me advice on the best companies to rent from value-wise?
    Also, does anyone know of any companies that do unlimited mileage or anything like that?

We're going from Chicago to L.A via the southern route.

Thanks a lot.

Default No single answer

Welcome to the RTA forum!

There is never a one size fits all answer to the best value for a rental car. Most companies will offer unlimited mileage, but how much you'll pay depends on the company, and where and when you're going. Some companies have different specialties too. For example, Enterprise usually has pretty competative rates for round trip rentals, but they can be extremely expensive for a one way.

The only thing you really can do is to shop around and look at as many companies and sites as you can, and when you find a price you like, make your reservation to lock in that rate.

3. Default

Thanks for that Michael!

But I completely forgot to mention that what we were looking for was a fairly big RV to fit 6 people - bit of an oversight on my part!

Default Well then

I'd suggest checking out the How to Rent an RV article from the Planning section of this website. It has some suggestions for major companies as well as a bunch of other information that I think will help you with your trip.

Default Watch for special deals

Quote Originally Posted by pubsie View Post
    Hi all,

Would anyone be able to give me advice on the best companies to rent from value-wise?
    Also, does anyone know of any companies that do unlimited mileage or anything like that?

We're going from Chicago to L.A via the southern route.
    ut I completely forgot to mention that what we were looking for was a fairly big RV to fit 6 people - bit of an oversight on my part!

Thanks a lot.
    Hi there.
    We find the R.V. a great way to travel but when pricing make sure you do your homework on all the extras that are usually charged,sometimes the best looking deal can turn expensive quickly. Firstly is the mileage [i'm not sure you will find unlimited]then there is :insurance waivers,bedding kits,kitchen kits,generator usage and quite possibly a big premium for one way drop off.

A lot of the big companies generally appear to be similiar on pricing but keep searching for any special deals that maybe on offer.

One option that could possbly save you a small fortune is if any of them are offering discounts to help move there fleet. This happens when they end up with too many on one side of the country or they need them to be taken to a particular depot,they then offer large discounts but do not garuantee that everything [cooker,television e.t.c] is operating fully.

They will normally give dates that they have to depart and arrive by between depots and if that fits in with your plans away you go!

If theres anything else you'd like to know,ask away:-)
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-19-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: for clarity