Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New York to San Francisco

Hi folks.

Well thats about 4 hours of my life gone reading extremely inetersing and useful ( and amusing!) hints and tips for road trips in the States.

So why the post.....

In just over a week I fly to NY and pick up a Chrysler Sebring soft top and set off west for SF. Apart from a weekend in Washington DC 14 years ago I've never been to the States and so as I am hitting the big 4 0 in August I thought I may as well do something different.

The posts that other folk have put on here and the relies they have had have been invaluable and have pointed out a few things I have missed so I thought I would put my plans down on paper ( well....on screen) for any other hints and tips.

I fly into NY Fri 25th July and am picking my car up from Newark NJ on Saturday 26th about 10am. The reason I've done it this way is I thought it would be easier to get out of town easier by train than picking the car up at JFK. As great a place as NY is I'm only stopping the one night as I can do NY for a weekend at any time.

My plan is to be in SF by Thurs 7th Aug, drop my car off the morning of the 8th and have a few days in SF before flying back via JFK on Sun 10th.

My route is about 4000 miles.

I'm looking at going this route...

NY to Roanoke,
    Roanoke - Knoxville,
    to Nashville,
    to Memphis,
    to Oklahoma, ( detouring to Prague OK just off I-40 as I lived in Prague, Czech Republic for a while)
    to Dodge City
    Amarillo,
    Albuquerque
    up through Monument valley and round the edge of the Canyon,
    down to Flagstaff
    into Vegas for the 4th August
    5th August - mooch around Vegas and take a heli trip over the Canyon. Staying in the Venetian ready for the 6th

Wake up on the 6th on my 40th in a suite in the Venetian....woo hooo ! ( Suite $3750 a night on weekends, I've got it for $210 as its mid week)

Spend the day of my 40th driving through Death Valley up to Lee Vinning
    7th - drive through Yosemite into SF

So my questions to you people with bucket loads more experience and knowledge than me are as follows:

1. Achievable or over ambitious? I am a sales person by trade and am used to doing 300-400 miles a day with my work. Doing it on holiday seems more pleasant than the M62 motorway in Britain in the rain ! I aim to set off each day about 10am, drive for a few hours , stop for a walk about and food then drive til I find somewhere I want to stop for the night.

2. I don't need to worry about falling out with my partner of any friends as I'm doing it alone. This does however give me concern on 1 leg as I have a 7 hour drive through Death Valey in August alone?

3. My car is paid for ( £400 for the hire and £200 one way drop off), my hotel in Vegas is paid for. I have $1200 and £1900 for food, fuel, accom, etc etc. Is this sufficient?

I've only stumbled upon this site today so realise its short notice but any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Tim

Default Generally

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The people who worry the most seem to have the least to worry about, and vice versa. For example, we've had people who plan to go from New York to San Francisco in 3 days and are asking what they should stop to see! Your schedule looks fine. I tend, like you, to like 400 mile days where I stop a few times a day for 1-2 hours for hikes, meals, sightseeing and the like, and I can keep up those kinds of days practically forever. By all means take it easy and wander as you will. I'm getting the sense that many Americans will be travelling less this summer, and camping more, since we've only recently had to start paying world price3s for petrol (but still only about half of what you're used to. With everything paid for, your budget is probably fine. Do you have $1200 AND £1900 for a total of about £2500=$5000? Then you're in very good shape indeed. If there's anything in particular you're looking for, let us know.

AZBuck

Thanks for the quick reply. After coming up with the idea over a year ago I can't believe its just over a week away !

I have a total of $1200 AND £1500. (Typo by me) So I've got just over $4000 for 16 days so its about $250 a day for food, petrol, accom etc. Obviously some days I'll spend more some days I'll spend less.

I've even got a blog set up so all the family at home can 'track me'

Most of the route it looks like I'll be on the interstate but sometimes its just about the drive and the change of scenery as it is actually getting out and seeing things. The change of scenery, even the different cars and road signs are enough to keep me amused for hours :)

I'm thinking that I'll try and hammer it for the 1st few days to try and 'get ahead of myself'.

Just my luck as well....the sat nav I bought last month was chosen as it also had all of USA and Canada as well as UK and Europe. It's developed a fault and wont be returned from repair until 2 days after i set off!!

Oh well.....more 'real and exciting' to do it with a good old fashioned map I guess :)
    Last edited by Mid Life Crisis; 07-14-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Default Sounds fun!

Happy 40th!!!

I believe most car rental agencies have Sat-Nav equipment available upon request. Maybe it's not too late to add this to your rental? Of course, it will increase the cost as well. But, don't fret, I think most of us regulars here still don't use Sat-Nav systems when we travel and, speaking for myself, it's never fouled me up yet. The few times I've gotten lost have usually yielded very pleasant discoveries I never would have found if I had been on the right route. And I've never been so lost that I couldn't easily find my way back.

Your trip sounds fine. You have plenty of time. There is really no need for you to push it the first few days to make Vegas in time. (And, wow, what a deal on your suite!). You have enough days to be flexible.

It will be fun to hear how Prague OK compares to the European Prague. I hope you'll come back here and share a roadtrip report about your trip.

This does however give me concern on 1 leg as I have a 7 hour drive through Death Valey in August alone?
    This discussion has some great tips for this. With common-sense and a few basic precautions, you'll be fine. So don't sweat it. (Pun intended.)

Anything else specific we can help you with?

Hi Judy

The thought on the sat nav is mainly for finding my way to specific places within cities as opposed to get from place to place. After living and travelling throughout Europe for 14 years as a child I definitely agree you find the best places when lost. Not that us men ever get lost when we are driving....we are merely taking a different route ;)

I spoke to the car hire people and yes I can hire one on a daily basis but to be honest , for the price they are suggesting, over a 13 day car hire period it would work out only slightly more expensive to buy one which can always be resold upon my return to the UK.

I'll post the blog address just before I go. At least when I head into the desert if theres no blog entry after a few days then send help !! :)

Default Are you gonna buy one?

I can see how they can be handy at times but, really, most people still travel just fine without one. I don't have one.

For the few times you might really need it, can you get it via your cellphone? Or does your cellphone work in the US...I know there are compatibility issues between US and Euro systems. Anyway, on my cellphone, I can pay $1.99 per day (or $10 per month) for something that acts just like the sat-nav systems. I use it so seldom, I just pay the $1.99 on days that, for some reason, I really need it. Maybe something like this would work for you?

If no blog entries for a few days, we'll alert the troops! :)

Default Another quick question

Hi folks

less than 4 days until I go woo hoooo

Quick question.....

Looking again at my map, I was going to come out of Vegas on Route 95, join the 266, up to Route 6 then across the 120 pass into Lee Vining.

The only problem with tis is that although I will have the real 'desert drive' up R-95 I actually drive parallel to Death Valley as opposed to through it.

So my question is this...

Leave Vegas about 9.30am and take the R-95.
    Then 373 / 127 to Death Valley junction and join the 190 through DV and rejoin the 374 up to the R-95 at Beatty and up to Tonopah.

Then R-95 /R-6 westbound to join the 120 and into Lee Vining.

I'm booked into Murpheys Hotel in Lee Vining and the stipulation is that you must check in before 8pm.

Google maps reckons its a 7 and a half hour drive so I'm thinking it is doable?

Whats it like for rest stops on the R-95? I should imagine that on 6th August that road will be a tad warm and so with the water I'll be drinking I'll need to stop. And probably for fuel as well !
    Last edited by Mid Life Crisis; 07-21-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Default i would say doable

I would imagine you would be o.k and if you have the hotels number handy you could always give them a call if you are delayed,i expect it's to enable them to re let the room if there is a no show,unless of course you have booked a meal then you may have to forfeit. Yummy food,my favorite subject lol!.
    But if you do not have a meal arranged then there is "Woah Nellies Dellie" which is a diner behind the gas station on the junction of hwy 395 and hwy 120 in Lee vining and the food is wonderfull. Apparently it's the worst kept secret for good food in that area.

Another possible route for you to cross Death Valley would be to continue across on the 190 passing Stovepipe Wells, the sand dunes and Panamint springs to lone pine and then head north on hwy 395 through Mammoth and to Lee vining.

The drive from Vegas to San Fran is an amazing journey [as i'm sure it all will be]. Good luck and i will be looking out for your blogs,have a great trip.

Default Too many zigs and zags!

Quote Originally Posted by Mid Life Crisis View Post
    Leave Vegas about 9.30am and take the R-95.
    Then 373 / 127 to Death Valley junction and join the 190 through DV and rejoin the 374 up to the R-95 at Beatty and up to Tonopah.
    Like Gommy says, you really ought to consider US-395 instead of US-95, unless you really want to go that way. It's a nice drive, but since Lee Vining is your destination, the scenery is more spectacular on US-395, it is shorter and a faster highway. But no matter which highway you use to go north, your stated route to Death Valley is back-tracking an extra 50 unnecessary miles or so. Here is the direct route from Las Vegas to Death Valley, the one used by 99% of locals....(look at the "red route" this will make sense when you look at the link).

If you still want to use US-95, I would proceed north on CA-190 to Death Valley Road (to Scott's Castle) and then NV-267 to Scotty's Junction and then NV-266 (Lida's Junction) to US-395 (here is my field report about this favored route)

If you really, really want to stay on US-95, keep going when you reach Lida Junction to Tonapah, and follow the US-6 to CA-120 (but this is a slow road...)
    Google maps reckons its a 7 and a half hour drive so I'm thinking it is doable?
    Google Maps is flat-wrong here -- if you really use US-95 and zig back and forth as you go north -- it is will be a MINIMUM of 9.5 hours, probably closer to ten hours.

The fastest possible route (without DV) is US-95 to Lida Junction and then west on NV-266 to US-395 to Lee Vining and I would put this at ~ seven hours.

The second fastest would be the local's route to DV (NV-160 -- shown above) to US-395 and north and I would put this at ~ 8 hours.

All are gorgeous routes, but if you need to reach Lee Vining by 8:00 pm I would do the Lida Junction route or plan to be on the road by 6:00 am for one of the other ones....

Mark

Thanks for the replies guys.

The day I do the DV drive is my 40th. Wake up in the Venetian and see it out in Lee Vining !

!2 hours til I set off for the airport....24 hours from now I land in NYC woo hoooo

The map is here
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...2bcfa01ca&z=17
    The blog is here
    www.lifeofanordinaryman.co.uk

The photos can be reached by clicking on one of the photos on the map pins on the google map or by going here

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=2016919

Obviously no photos yet but there will be :)