Default Round Journey from Philadelphia to Savannah

Hi All

We are arriving in Philadelphia on September 14 2008 and are planning a route as far south as Savannah returning to Philadelphia on October 1 when we travel on to New York by train for 3 nights. Our intention is to have a balanced holiday visiting historical places, towns, countryside and the coast and travelling by car from Philadelphia. We are two seniors and really looking forward to our visit to USA. I have just found this very informative web-site and forum.

Our proposed route is Philadelphia,
    Lancaster and Amish country
    Virginia Beach
    Outer Banks
    Blue Ridge Parkway

My inclination is that the trip is easier said than done and therefore I am seeking members experiences and suggestions( or criticisms ) on my route and other places that are worth a visit. I am also seeking views on the best places for stopovers and how long I should allocate to each in order to get a feeling of the architecture, heritage and culture.

Tucson, AZ

Default Not to Beg Off...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...but you ask questions that we can't answer, only you can. You'll find a recurring theme here that there is no set of 'best' placers to go, or perfect amount of time to spend there. There is only what works for you. Your proposed itinerary is just fine and you have plenty of time to see it at a relatively relaxed pace. Spend as much time as you can in each place. Certainly a day in Washington, Charleston and on the Outer Banks is not too much. If you find yourself wanting to spend more, do so. The only other places I'd suggest you look into are Lexington, VA; Monticello outside Charlottesville, VA; and Shenandoah National Park. I'm sure that wherever you stop and however long you spend there, you'll have a great time.

Default Savannah GA to Asheville NC

There appear to be various route options for this journey which I am undertaking on a Saturday in late September. Has anybody any thoughts on the most interesting.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-25-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Merged with previous post. Please do not start new threads for the same trip.

Tucson, AZ

Default Interesting is in the Eye of the Beholder

My predilections may not be exactly the same as yours, and there's always the matter of timing. If you plan to make this drive in a day or less, then you should probably just stick to the Interstates I-95/I-26 and stop at the occasional state park. But if you have a couple of days to devote to this portion of your trip, then I'd suggest following the Savannah River and then approaching Asheville through the mountains from the south. You'd basically head up to Augusta on the Georgia side of the river, and then use US-231/SC-81/SC-24 up into the western tip of South Carolina from which Sc-11 and US-25 would take you the rest of the way into Asheville.