Happy Honeymooner Guest

Default Honeymoon Roadtrip--October, Texas to Colorado

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and the idea of a road trip intrigues us the most. We have 5-7 days to go to Colorado and back. We want to see Amarillo, Texas; Taos, New Mexico; and Telluride, Colorado. What do you think we should do? Anybody have any ideas?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default intrigue

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There certainly is no shortage of possible things to do on a Roadtrip to Colorado, the question becomes which of those things would be best for your trip. So what intriques you about a roadtrip, and why did you come up with the places you listed? What sorts of things are you most looking to accomplish on this trip? Are you looking to see and do a lot of things, or do you just want to go someplace to relax in the mountains for a few days?

Happy Honeymooner Guest

We definitely want to stop at the Big Texan in Amarillo, just because that's a family tradition in my family and I think it's appropriate since he is joining my family!

We want to go on the train tour in Durango, CO. Besides those, we are up for all kinds of new stuff!

The Netherlands

Yes, Big Texan, odd place, liked strolling around but only had average food. Also try to see Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo on your left hand side. Bit hard to find and don't be disappointed. Curious place. It will take a very long day to drive from Amarillo to Durango via I40 and us550. Smooth drive though.
    The Durango-Silverton trainride will take all day. Back by bus would be my choice. Telluride is a far drive and virually closed in october. I would skip this on a short trip. Santa Fe is a great place for a stay so after Taos I would stay there. See Rio Grande Bridge west of Taos and take the High Road between Taos and Santa Fe. In good weather take the Sandia Peak Tramway east of Albuquerque. Also, in ABQ is the Balloon Festival beginning of october. Maybe a balloonflight for your honeymoon? Congratulations!