1. Default Chicago to LA via Memphis, Dallas (Southern Route)

I am planning on driving from Chicago to LA through Memphis, Dallas, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Grand Canyon in an RV with 5 other friends. We are all in our early 20's and this is our first road trip in America. We are Irish and want to see some of the 'real' america.

Is this a better route than the traditional route 66?
    Any recommended parks for a couple of days relaxation or even some that will have lots of other 20 somethings, not family orientated parks, with good night life?
    Is renting an RV worth it?
    Any other major MUST sees along this route?
    Any other help I would greatly appreicate it.

Default Early 20-something and RV's

Quote Originally Posted by vladimirtheassassin View Post
    Any recommended parks for a couple of days relaxation or even some that will have lots of other 20 somethings, not family orientated parks, with good night life?
    Renting a RV if the drivers are under 25 years old is going to be a bit of challenge. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    Is renting an RV worth it?
    It depends on what you are planning to do -- if clubs and nightlife is the goal -- than I think the expense and parking requirements of a RV would be a poor choice. A rental car and motel will save you money and provide more access to night life opportunities.

Mark

Default Agreed...a car sounds better for your wants!

Is this a better route than the traditional route 66?
    It sounds like you'll be picking up 66 around Amarillo. It's a great route! The best route is the one that takes you where you want to go. If old 66 does this, then it's the best one for you. If not, don't tie your trip down to any one road but create a route based on the destinations you want to see.

Any other major MUST sees along this route?
    Tons. Our Route 66 page will give you more ideas than you'll likely have time to explore.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Get Your Kicks...

Just finished watching Robin Williams in "RV." Hope you have waste disposal down before you go.

Good books to take along with you would be Jerry McClannahan's "EZ Guide to 66" and David Wickline's "Images of 66, Vol. 1". The two books work well together. We had people sign the photos of their places in the Images book.

Definitely try to stay at the El Rancho in Gallup, NM.

5. Default Change of Plan

Thanks folks for your replys. We've hasd a change of vehicle! We're now doing the road trip in a minivan. Can anyone recommend me a good book or guide with motels and hotels and campsites for along this route. If anyone can recommend any places to stay on this route I'd appreicate it very much also. We're looking to camp when possible and stay in fairly cheap but cheerful places! There are 6 of us.

Default I think a minivan will work great for you!

Our Route 66 page has a lot of good information and some of the links there should have hotel suggestions. I agree with the El Rancho in Gallup NM. Also the Blue Swallow in eastern NM. These are both historic hotels along Route 66. Also look for the Wigwam Motels in Holbrook AZ and Rialto CA.

On our list of recommended books are some guides to Route 66 that you might find helpful. The books Roaddog recommended are good ones and should help with lodging info as well. These are our recommendations for good campground guidebooks.