1. Default San Diego and back

Hey,
    My Frineds and I are planning a months road trip starting at San Diego and ending up in LA, we plan to see Vegas, Utah, Yosemite, Salt Lake city Collerado, the great falls, Seattle, and the head back to LA.
    My question is....Can anyone suggest good place to stay along the way, we have three weeks. Also I wanted to know if there is anything spectacular to see on the route, I'm talking scenery, famous places, giant balls of yarn etc?
    |Thanks!

I can help ya with Seattle. If you are looking for reasonable lodging, Stay out of Seattle! Stick to areas North of Seattle (ie. Everett) or South of Seattle (ie. Tacoma).

Some ideas can be found on one of my websites.

Default And you can find plenty of information here, too!

This post gives you a lot of links to various thinks to do/see in the Pacific Northwest, including parts of northern California. Here are some ideas for the Seattle and Portland areas.

For inexpensive lodging, near Seattle, you should check out the area near Sea-Tac Airport, too.

The route you're taking takes you past so much fantastic scenery that it's hard to give you a list. And, if you really visit all those places, you will have a hard time seeing all of that in three weeks anyway. Oh, you could cover the miles and there are great scenic vistas from the roads so you'll have a beautiful drive, but you'll mainly be driving without much getting out of the car and doing.

I think you might consider narrowing the scope of your trip a bit.

4. Default

where would you suggest we cut out? Thanks for the help!

Default making choices

You've already got a pretty broad list, where you've outlined the general areas where you want to go, but you've listed very few specifics about what you've developed. Having said that, its pretty hard to give you specific things to cut out.

Obviously, the places farthest away, like Colorado or Seattle would be easiest to cut out if you just want to reduce your mileage, but which of those areas - if any - you cut from your trip will depend upon your priorities.

What I would suggest doing at this point is to plot out a rough outline of what you would do each day. The outline doesn't have to be set in stone, but it should give you a better grasp on how much time you have relative to what you want to see and it should help you set the priorities for your trip.

Default Agreed!

What I would suggest doing at this point is to plot out a rough outline of what you would do each day. The outline doesn't have to be set in stone, but it should give you a better grasp on how much time you have relative to what you want to see and it should help you set the priorities for your trip.
    Then post this rough-draft itinerary here. It will help us identify any red-flags. And also help us identify good routes, great things to see along the way, etc. making it easier for us to make suggestions. We could also give you an idea if your idea is feasible in the time you have.

Planning is half the fun. We encourage you to do some of this on your own and use us for a resource to help you fine-tune your plans. I look forward to seeing your itinerary and giving you tips.

7. Default

Ok, well our starting point is Huntington Beach, from there we're taking the Pacific Coast Highway as far as San Fran we expect to arrive there on the 5th of August, on the 7th we plan to head towards Yosemite, spend 2 nights there and move along to Vegas, after 2 nights there we're going to Utah and plan to spend three nights. Then on to Idaho for another two nights which brings us up to the 15th of Aug, after that we're moving on to Yellowstone until the 17th, we've set aside two days to get to Seattle (suggestions of where to stay, what to see??) Two nights in seattle and then on the 21st make our way down the west coast back to LA.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Default Do-able, but rushed

Seattle is a cool city but, unless you really need to go here on this trip, I would suggest adding a day or two to the Yellowstone area and then heading home from there.

You need to figure about 1.5 days to get from Yellowstone to Seattle so, if I'm reading your schedule right, you're only going to have 1.5 days there. And this is if you drive straight there and don't bother stopping and exploring much from Yellowstone to Seattle. And there's a lot of neat things to see along that route.

But, yeah, it can be done. I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't do it. I just want you to be aware of the pace you'll need to maintain to do it.

Here's some tips on what to see in Seattle.