Default Which is steeper, Siskiyous or the grapevine?

I know the Siskiyous between Oregon and California is a 6-7% grade uphill. I drive over the siskiyous every year. I can't remember what the grade is for the Grapevine in California. I haven't driven the grapevine in about 18 years!

Default Just curious....why do you wanna know?

Are you towing something?

According to this article, it has a 5% grade.

I'm sure much of this is because I don't drive a rig where grade is really an issue, but the Siskiyou Pass is a pretty gentle hill, imho. Sounds like the Grapevine is even more gentle, albeit more curvy. When I've driven it, I've noticed the curves (which I like to call fun twisty-bits) than I've noticed the grade.

Anyway, hope this helps!

ETA: I went back and read through that article a bit more and apparently the grade on the other side is 6%.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 07-12-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added info

Nope. Not towing anything. Just looking to make a comparison. So in other words, as far as steepness and distance it's not a whole lot different from the Siskiyous.

I do remember the twists and turns, just couldn't remember the grade.

Thanks for the info Judy!

Default Yup, sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    So in other words, as far as steepness and distance it's not a whole lot different from the Siskiyous.
    Just add those fun Grapevine twisty-bits!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Just add those fun Grapevine twisty-bits!
    If I can handle the "twisty-bits" on US 101 Through Oregon, the Grapevine should be a breeze! LOL!

6. Default About the same..

I just drove the I-5 from north of Seattle to LA area last month.

Personal opinion of course, but I think they're about the same. The primary grade is maybe a bit longer on the Grapevine vs Siskiyou -- maybe a mile longer? as a guess.

The twisty bits I think are longer on the the Siskiyou run, since you hit them before the pass a bit, and then wind down all the way over Lake Shasta at some level -- whereas on the Grapevine you hit the grade, and while the road turns, it doesn't have tight turns -- but you do sort of wind down until you hit the 14 past magic mountain. But, in comparsion if memory serves, the speed limit doesn't drop on the Grapevine route so you can theoretically travel at 60 + mph the whole way -- whereas on the Siskiyou route there are a couple of sections of I-5 marked as 45 mph or so in the turns. There's one a few miles north of Lake Shasta that had added this almost humorous light display showing a truck falling over and an automated speed gauge "You are traveling XXX mph" that I particularly remember

Overall -- about the same I think.