Default Need to spice up Florida to Michigan route

Several family members have at one time or another lived in Florida and I seem to be the designated 'get them back to michigan' driver. I definitely don't mind crunching out the miles but I have gotten more than tired of the same Florida to Michigan route (I-75 FL-GA-TN-KY-OH).
    I saw in another thread a route from FL to Cleveland that went through SC-NC-WV and looked a lot more interesting while only adding 50 miles or so.
    Anyone have any suggestions as to a route that still only takes a couple days but could spice up a much overdone FL-MI roadtrip?

Default I-77

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I suspect the route you are refering to would be taking I-95 to South Carolina and then head up I-77 all the way to Cleveland. That route would give you a different look at things, while only adding about 50 miles - depending upon where exactly in those two states you are starting/ending.

That's the route I saw. It seems like it would be a better scenic route. Do you have any experience with that trip, would the 50 miles end up making it a lot longer time wise because of terrain?

Default My guess is...............

.......you could be adding somewhat more time than 50 miles would pertain to due to terrain. I've driven I-77 from the vicinity of the SC-NC line all the way to Charleston, WV, and from just south of the NC-VA line all the way to Charleston, you're in steep mountains. Once you get into WV, it's the old WV Turnpike route, and seems to me to be steeper than more modern Interstates. When I traversed Charleston, WV to Winston-Salem, NC in 2002 the concrete surface of I-77 was terrible--rolly-polly, bad joints, heavy tractor-trailer and coal truck traffic.

But, the mountains sure are nice! Especially in NC and VA.

Foy

Default I remember this vaguely

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    When I traversed Charleston, WV to Winston-Salem, NC in 2002 the concrete surface of I-77 was terrible--rolly-polly, bad joints, heavy tractor-trailer and coal truck traffic.
    I recall this being the case as well, back in early 2001. I'm not sure (but sincerely hope) that this has been updated since then.

Still, any route that takes a traveler through WV gets high marks in my opinion due to the beauty of the terrain in that state.