Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New to Road Trip--need help!

Hi

I am coming to USA from Ireland in September 2008--Plan to drive the following route
    Denver-Grand Junction-Moab -Salt Lake City-Jackson-Yellowstone-Billings-Sheridan-Rapid City-Cheynne-Denver

Would appreciate nay advice on Scenic Byways or good things to see

Travelled to USA last year for first time --was blown away by the road trip from Las Vegas-Zion-Moab-Mesa Verde- Monument Valley-Flagstaff

Any help would be appreciated

Default How Scenic Do You Want?

Céad Míle Fáilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The fact is that the loop trip you've3 proposed covers some of the most beautiful areas in America. Nevertheless there are some historic and particularly scenic roads on your way that you should be aware of. among these are the Pioneer Historic Byway in southeastern Idaho, the Rockefeller Memorial Parkway between the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, the Beartooth Highway between Yellowstone and Billings, and the roads in Rocky Mountain National Park. Other spots along the way you haven't mentioned that are worth a stop include Little Bighorn National Battlefield, Devils Tower, the Badlands, Wind Cave, and the Crazy Horse Monument,

AZBuck

Awesome itinerary, but how long are you taking to do it ? There is so much to see and do on that route you really risk missing out some gems if you try to do too much.

Some must see's in my opinion on your route.

As mentioned by AZBuck, Rocky Mountain Park and the Trail Ridge road, but check ahead there is a risk of snow closure in September.

From Grand Junction to Moab take the 128 into Moab and a few miles before you get into town stop and look at the river. It appears to be flowing uphill because of the shape of the terrain http://www.uk-2-usa.com/Utah/moab.html

At Moab, as well as Canyonlands and Arches National Parks you must see Deadhorse Point State Park for one of the most gobsmacking views in the USA

Between Salt Lake City and Jackson, Craters of the Moon and the Lava Tunnels are awesome.

In the Black Hills, the Needles Highway and the Iron Mountain Road must be driven.

4. Default Really helpful Info

azbuck and warrior

Many thanks guys for the info--am spending 3 weeks on the trip--maybe trying to do too much?

Will research the places you have mentioned

Thanks again

Default Not too much

We did this trip (in the opposite direction) in two weeks, so three will be plenty. We even stretched it as far as Four Corners.

It's probably stating the obvious, but don't miss Mount Rushmore. And, if you can, try to see a rodeo in Billings - great fun!

Also consider Deadwood, west of Rapid City. If I remember correctly, Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane are buried there (next to each other, unless they're just memorials!). I'm sure Buffalo Bill is buried somewhere in these parts as well, but can't remember where...

Devils Tower (mentioned by AZBuck) is NW of Sundance, in NE Wyoming, and was a key feauture in the film 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'. Worth a visit.

If you're interested in that sort of thing, you can visit EBR1, the 'world's first nuclear power plant', just west of Idaho Falls (off highway 20 between Atomic City and Arco). It's now a National Historic Landmark. Not a big detour if you're heading for Craters of the Moon - only a minute or two off highway 20. I work in the industry, so that was a busman's holiday for me!

Default Really?

If you're interested in that sort of thing, you can visit EBR1, the 'world's first nuclear power plant', just west of Idaho Falls (off highway 20 between Atomic City and Arco). It's now a National Historic Landmark.
    I had no idea it was the first. Now the name Atomic City makes so much more sense to me. Thanks for that tidbit.

Default Ya really gotta look at the site some more....

Judy,

I know there is a lot of articles here, but.... here is some more info about EBR-1

Mark

Default Thanks!

I always thought the facilities at Hanford were first so, good to know.

Default Denver to Grand Junction

I've driven this strip (I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction) countless times and it never gets old. It's so beautiful! I've done the trip from Arkansas to Utah a lot and we always stop in Georgetown, CO. It's a great old mining town. Make sure you eat breakfast at the Happy Cooker and take a walk through the town when the shops are open.

Also, make a stop at exit 119 or 121, I always get them confused - even after so many trips! It's a great little rest area for picnics and a bathroom stop. You can walk right down to the edge of the Colorado River. If you look up, the Rockies surround you - makes for fantastic pictures!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-01-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Color removed for readability

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jif001 View Post
    I'm sure Buffalo Bill is buried somewhere in these parts as well, but can't remember where...
    Buffalo Bill's grave is on top of Lookout Mountain, just west of Golden, Colorado.

Jan.