1. Default One month roadtrip starting in Vancouver - advice appreciated!

Hi all

Me & my girlfriend are in the (very) early stages of planning a road trip in the USA this August. We'll have roughly 25 days to spend.

We did have a (very, VERY) rough idea of a route: stating from San Francisco > Yosemite > Death valley > Vegas > Zion > Grand Canyon > Moab (mountain biking) > Yellowstone > back to SFO somehow, perhaps slowly through Oregon.

As I said, this is only a really vague idea of places we thought we'd like to see - we've really not researched it yet and I feel bad that I'm so ignorant to the nodoubt 1000s of other, smaller, areas which we'd love to visit. We also didn't think of any timeframes - just that we'd have 25 days to fit a trip in.

We both love the outdoors, wildlife, nature etc so don't intend to spend too much time in the cities.

The other BIG issue is that we really don't want to be rushed. We want to be able to stop at places for a few extra nights if we love it, so really dopn't want to try and cram too much into one trip - though obviously we'd liek to see as much as possible!

The problem is we're only 20 - so hiring a car is proving v tough. The best solution so far is to hire a camper van from Wicked Campers in Vancouver as they're happy to hire to under 21s, and don't charge extra for travelling into the US. Obvoiusly this makes things a bit tough as we'd be starting almost 1000 miles further North! So, I have a few questions:

1. Do you think a 25 day trip, starting and ending in Vancouver, could realistically take in all these different areas? if so, could you suggest a very rough runnning order. We were thinking maybe travel down through Oregon slowly, then across to Yellowstone > Moab > Grand Canyon > Zion > Vegas > Death Valley > SFO > back up the coast as fast as possible to get the van back in time. Does this sound feasable? Any better suggestions are welcome - again, apologies for being so vague and posisbly being extremely ignorant!

2. With a camper, we were hoping to save on accommodation by just finding places to park up & stay the night. I know in Oz this sin't a problem, I've often seen Wicked campers parked in car parks/lay bys etc overnight. What are the rules like on this in USA, and are they enforced? If we'd have to stay at campgrounds, are there generally a lot of these which we can just turn up at or would we have to carefully plan in advance exactly when/where to stay?

3. Presumably crossing the border between Can > USA is pretty hassle free?

4. Anything else!! nAny advice, suggestions, must-see locations, general guidance, anything at all would be massively appreciated.

Thanks a lot for any help

Tucson, AZ

Default Generally Speaking

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, I think everything you want to do is within reach with a few caveats. You will need to find a looping route that hits most (but maybe not all) of the sights you want to see. Something very roughly like: Pacific Northwest, San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Tetons, Yellowstone, Snake River, Vancouver. Figure out how many miles that is in total and then assume that you can cover about 500 miles on driving days and see how many days it will take you. If it's much more than 10-11 days (5000-5500 miles) then you'll need to start cutting back in order to have some time to actually enjoy all the places you'll be driving to.

Camping is a bit in flux these days. Fewer Americans are hitting the roads, but more of those who do are camping. So while you can probably still find relatively cheap campsites in state parks and national forests, you won't always be guaranteed of finding just what you want right where you want it. Technically, camping in lay-bys, and parking lots is illegal, but some Walmart stores allow it as do some truck plazas. You would need to check with each place individually and get permission.

Finally, it's still relatively easy for Canadians and Americans to cross our mutual border, but if you're a foreigner driving a rental, I'd make sure that all the paperwork was in order, particularly a statement from the rental company that you have permission to take the camper across the border.