1. Default URGENT!! San Diego / Hollywood / Grand Canyon / Las Vegas

Hi there

Can you help? My partner and I are coming over to San Diego from England next week! (July 14th)

We want to do a road trip that visits Hollywood / Grand Canyon / Las Vegas and ends up back in San Diego, but have know idea as the best way to go.

Can anyone help with this? What is the best route to take?

From another thread i saw, i was thinking San Diego > LA > Grand Canyon > Las Vegas > San Diego. Is this the best route?

Last minute planning or what! I thought it would be simple.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Adam

Default Thousands of suggestions here

Quote Originally Posted by adam_reddevils View Post
    We want to do a road trip that visits Hollywood / Grand Canyon / Las Vegas and ends up back in San Diego, but have know idea as the best way to go.
    No one who is active here ever attempts to describe the "best way" -- What might be the best way to you makes no sense to the next person. How long a trip will this be? What goals do you have for the trip?

Mark

3. Default Reply to Adam

Hello Adam,

If you were to go from San Diego, through Palm Springs to the Grand Canyon, you'd need to retrace your steps a bit to get to Las Vegas, then onto Hollywood and back to San Diego. This is about a 1225 mile trip. Not sure how long you have but that could be a lot of driving. One thing to consider for the Grand Canyon is to stop in Flagstaff, AZ and take a van to the Grand Canyon. We did this and enjoyed it a lot more as we could watch the sites instead of watching the road. It would also probably be easier to get a room overnight in Flagstaff than in any where closer to the Grand Canyon. You could also then drive through Sedona, AZ which is a beautiful drive.

Then onto Vegas, Hollywood and back to San Diego.

Be sure you make reservations at all the places so you don't get stuck paying a lot for a mediocre room.

I went on MapQuest.com to map this out. You could try that also. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Kathy

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    No one who is active here ever attempts to describe the "best way" -- What might be the best way to you makes no sense to the next person. How long a trip will this be? What goals do you have for the trip?

Mark
    Well looking into this further. I am now thinking the following. Let me know what you think...

Early start to drive from San Diego to Grand Canyon. Not sure of best route yet, but will stay overnight on the way. Avoiding taking the I-8 all the way.

Stay a night in Flagstaff or Williams, an spend some time around the Grand Canyon.

Then on to Las Vegas, via Hoover Dam. Spend a night there, maybe two.

Then on to Hollywood for a day trip. Overnighter if needed. And then back down to San Diego

Do you think I am allowing enough time realistically to do this?

Thanks

Default Oatman and Route 66

Quote Originally Posted by adam_reddevils View Post
    Early start to drive from San Diego to Grand Canyon. Not sure of best route yet, but will stay overnight on the way. Avoiding taking the I-8 all the way.
    Since I-8 doesn't go anywhere near the Grand Canyon, that is probably a good plan. There are several routes you might consider, but here's a meandering route to get started...I would go north on I-15 to Temecula and stop and enjoy some of the winery tours in the area. At exit 58, take CA-79 south to County Road 371 and joining CA-74 for the thrill ride up past Sugarloaf Mountain and down to Palm Springs.

Then CA-62 to Twentynine Palms (mid-afternoon snack at the Twentynine Palms Inn or stay overnight) -- this is a legendary retreat for Hollywood insiders.

Next day, travel to Oatman and Route 66 to the Grand Canyon.

Then on to Hollywood for a day trip. Overnighter if needed. And then back down to San Diego
    Here are some tips for visiting LA.
    Do you think I am allowing enough time realistically to do this?
    There are some "go-go-go" parts, but you will be fine.

Mark