1. Default Grand canyon to LA

Hi all,

I've really been enjoying reading all the posts the last couple of months.
    Myself and my wife and son are taking our 1st RV trip in Sept this year, starting in San Fran and ending in LA(10 days in total).
    I have the itinery mostly finished, except for the last stage between Grand canyon and LA.
    Can anybody recommend any nice places to visit and park between GC and LA. I've been looking into Lake Havasu.
    Depending on whether we stay 1 or 2 nights at GC, we will have 1 or 2 nights to make the journey. NB the last night will need to be close to LA as th RV needs to be back at 11 AM.

Here is our itinery as it stands.
    San Fran to Yosemite for 2 nights.
    Yosemite to sequoia for 1 night.
    Sequoia to panamint springs DV for 1 night.
    DV to LV for 2 nights.
    LV to Zion for 1 night.
    Zion to GC for 1 (possibly 2 nights)
    GC to LA ?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Default RV Holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by denden View Post
    I've really been enjoying reading all the posts the last couple of months.
    I hope it has been helpful and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip forum!
    Myself and my wife and son are taking our 1st RV trip in Sept this year, starting in San Fran and ending in LA(10 days in total).
    Sounds like a great adventure -- you might want to read this article, print the check list and take it with you when you pick-up your rental RV.
    San Fran to Yosemite for 2 nights.
    Sounds like a great way to start.
    Yosemite to sequoia for 1 night.
    This sounds like you are planning to proceed down the western slope of the Sierras and while Sequoia NP is very cool, you might find the route over Tioga Pass and down US-395 far more appealing. Although not as impressive as the National Park, you can see some of the Sequoia giants at the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite National Park. By the way, here is a photo/journal report of a similar route in a RV.
    Sequoia to panamint springs DV for 1 night.
    The camping area at Panamint Springs is pretty stark and it is likely to still be quite warm in September -- but it is a very cool place. If you stayed at the RV park at Furnace Creek, you could use the swimming pool....
    DV to LV for 2 nights.
    LV to Zion for 1 night.
    Zion to GC for 1 (possibly 2 nights)
    All sounds reasonable
    GC to LA ?.
    One of my favorite RV parks in the LA area is the Bonelli Park in San Dimas, which would make turning in your RV a cinch, but it is too far to drive in one day from the Grand Canyon. Another one I like is the Featherly Regional Park in Yorba Linda (but again, that's too far).... Lake Havasu would be fine -- there are a couple of RV parks closer to I-40 at Needles, but I think would recommend the Moabi county park just to south down the river. This would be about a five hour trip from the Grand Canyon. If you wanted to push on a bit further -- I have two other suggestions. The first is the county park at Victorville -- Mojave Narrows or there is a commercial park alongside I-15 near Cajon Pass (Oak Hills, CA) that I have stayed at a couple of times -- pleasant, easy to get to and would make it an easy drive to get to the drop-off place the next day. Grand Canyon to Oak Hills is about 8 hours on the road.

Happy Planning!

Mark