Default What would you do? LA->MS->AL->FL or SC->GA->FL ?

I'm going to the States during the end of this summer (last week of August, first week of September) for vacations.

My idea is to land either in Atlanta or in New Orleans, rent a car and peacefully roadtrip the South East up to Miami where I'll end my stay, drop the car off and fly back to my hometown (Madrid). All I've got is 12 days or so to invest. Four days in Miami, eight for the rest of the trip.

I'm in doubt which route to choose. South Carolina and Georgia is tempting because I heard nice things on Charleston and Savannah. But also Mississippi and Alabama! (Are they what you use to call The Deep/True South?)

Details of the trip are not important at this moment though I'm in a little urge to confirm flights from/to Madrid. Prices are raising every day and up today I'm totally undecided!

So what would you recommend? The East Coast route or the Gulf one?

BTW: Happy Independence Day fellow Americans!

Tucson, AZ

Default Both Are Possible

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I really don't think that this is an either/or situation. Eight days to tour the south is enough to sample both coasts and a fair amount in between. So, what would I do? I'd probably fly into New Orleans if it's economically feasible and see the French Quarter and Lake Pontchartrain at a minimum. Then I would either take a day trip to southwestern Louisiana on the Creole Nature Trail or drive down the Mississippi delta to sample some real bayou country. Then I'd maybe see a bit of the developed beaches of the Gulf Coast around Mobile and Biloxi, and also visit the Gulf Islands National Seashore. From there, I'd head inland for a bit. Yes, Mississippi and Alabama are the heart of the Deep South and you can see some old plantations and antebellum homes in places like Natchez, Vicksburg, Selma and others. Drive the Natchez Trace for at least a bit and wander some of the back roads and small towns as you work your way east. Here's a report of a longer trip I did a few years ago that includes some ideas for this area - see Days 3 and 4. Continue to work east to Charleston, Savannah or both. I particularly liked Charleston for its old plantations, incredible history, and current charm. Finally work your way southward along the coast, hitting the Cumberland Island National Seashore, St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral. And yes, if you keep up even a moderate pace you can do all that in 8 days.

Great! Those are wonderful suggestions, you have convinced me. I'm going to confirm flights right now (MAD-MSY / MIA-MAD)
    In the next weeks I will close the rest of the details of the trip. I hope you don't mind if I ask some more questions in this forum. I promise I'll do my homework and read all the pertaining information in this site before posting.
    Thank you very much.