1. Default Austin to Boulder, suggestions

Hi. I'm planning a trip from Austin, Tx to Boulder, Co. I'm thinking of heading west to Carlsbad Caverns, then north on to Colorado Springs. Does anyone have suggestions for where to camp near Carlsbad? I can't seem to find any good info on campgrounds - they are all RV Parks...

Also, any suggestions on where to go along the way? I'm stressing a little about the planning of this trip. I will be the only driver, as the other passengers are kiddos, so I don't want to be wiped out every time we get someplace. Is it too much to drive Austin to Carlsbad in one swoop? Where should we stop between Carlsbad and Co. Spgs? Most importantly, I want to make the trip fun and safe.

Has anyone ever ridden the Pike's Peak Cog Railway?

Thanks so much!

Tucson, AZ

Default Biggest Missing Ingredient: Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First off, at somewhere over 1100 miles, and traveling with kids, and stopping at Carlsbad (and elsewhere), and camping... This trip is going to require the better part of 3 days. Now it is possible to get from Austin to Carlsbad Caverns (about 500 miles) in a day, but not to then see the caves as well. Much better for the kids (and your sanity) would be to make a couple of stops on the way for a picnic lunch, a hike through a wildlife refuge, then set up camp early enough that you can do it while it's still light and the kids can explore. Then see Carlsbad the second day and get as far north as you reasonably can, again stopping along the way for some exercise, not just fast food meals. Same on the third day, with perhaps a trip to the top of Pikes Peak as the highlight.

So as for camping near Carlsbad, there's Brantley Lake in New Mexico or Monahans Sandhills in Texas, a bit closer to Austin. As for other stops along the way, they don't have to be fancy. A few possibilities on your way would include Llano River State Park, Fort Lancaster, Bitter Lake NWR, Las Vegas NWR, and the Greenway & Nature Center. I've never taken the Pike's Peak Cog Railway, but have ridden a similar train on Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, and loved it.