1. Default Moving from Detroit to Southern California

My wife and I are planning a move from the Detroit Metro area to northern Los Angeles. We are not sure about the timeframe for the drive right now. But, I am thinking 6-7 days as we would like to do some sightseeing as well.

We are planning a stop in St. Louis MO to visit some family and friends and from there a short stop in Kansas City KS to visit with some other friends. Aside from that we know that we would like to check out the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, The Rockies (Denver), or any other scenic points of interest that you might suggest.

I have not decided which route I would like to take to go down to St. Louis. I normally take I-94 to I-69 South down to Indy and I-70 over to St. Louis. However, I know that I can also take I-94 over to Chicago and head south from there to St. Louis. The route that we have planned once in St. Louis is to take I-70 West until it ends in Utah. In Utah we would take I-15 south to Las Vegas so we can go to the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.

Are there any places in the Rockies or anywhere else that are a must see? Does this route seem to be the best given the timeframe and desired stops (seems to be the most logical to me). Does anyone know of construction or anything along this route that would cause any significant delays or re-routings?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default I-70

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The drive along I-70 itself can be its own thing to see, but there are also more than a half dozen national parks that are easy detours in Colorado and Utah. I'm not sure what you would consider to be must sees, but that would be a starting point.

The only thing that stands out with your route is the Grand Canyon. You're going to be looking at a 250 mile trip back east from Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam, and then you'll be back tracking nearly all of it when you head back towards California again.

With 6-7 days, that backtracking wouldn't be the end of the world, but you might also look at cutting down through Utah if going to the Canyon is a priority. Since this is a moving trip, I'll also offer the idea that the Grand Canyon is a trip that can be done as a long weekend from So Cal, so you might instead want to focus more of your extra time in places like Colorado that will be a little more difficult to reach from your new home.

3. Default Moving from Detroit to Southern California

Thanks for the tip regarding the backtrack on the Grand Canyon detour. I did not realize that it is so far out of the way.

I agree that spending more time in Colorado would be nice since we have family there we can visit with.

Taking a second look at the map I think Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah might satisfy our need to see some canyonlands on this trip. And...then after we are settled in SoCal take a long weekend trip out to the Grand Canyon like you had mentioned.

As far as must sees go we are not looking to see the worlds biggest ball of ear wax, or the waterfall that flows up instead of down. My wife and I were thinking of places like Vail or other landmarks. Is there any site that you know of that talks about places like this along I-70 in CO/UT?