1. Default Road Trip Amsterdam to Monaco

Hi there,

We're planning a road trip from Amsterdam to Monaco, leaving on July 8th from Amsterdam need to be by July 12th in Monaco and on the way back from July 19 leaving Monaco and arriving in Amsterdam by July 24th.

We're driving with an 11+ kid and we're looking for the best route to take that will include some nature attractions and adventures for us and our daughter who is more into nature and adventure than any site seeing and big cities (so are we...)

Any suggestions and ideas will be more than welcome.

Tucson, AZ

Default Not Our Forté

Welkom! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While we do have a forum for Off Shore RoadTrips, giving advice for journeys like yours is not really what we do. We're just not familiar enough with the roads, cities and attractions of Europe to give the best advice. Having said that, I would think that your overall best route would go something like: Amsterdam, Essen, Mainz, Strassburg, Luzern, Milan and then along the Mediterranean coast to Monaco. That would be a beautiful drive up the Rhine and over the Alps which would keep you in largely German speaking areas. I've traveled a bit through there and while I fondly remember Köln, Heidelberg, Strasbourg and the Swiss countryside, my experiences are not recent enough nor my memories detailed enough to be offering suggestions on things to do.

Default Through France

Well, yes, this is primarily a US road trip forum but maybe I can help. I'd suggest you aim to reach Rheims for your first night. It's the heart of Champagne country and the centre itself - particularly the cathedral - is beautiful.

The next day, I'd aim for one of the Rhone valley towns - maybe Nuits St Georges or Beaune, both of which are just south of Dijon - and just enjoy the scenery (and the local wine). For your third day (July 10th), I'd continue south but then follow the signs for Grenoble and the Route Napoleon, a mountain drive that will take you through one of the most picturesque regions in the whole of France. Depending on your progress, Gap would be a good place to stop.

Continue through the mountains on Friday and you could maybe stop in Grasse, the self-proclaimed perfume capital of the world.

Alternatively, if you don't fancy the idea of the mountains, you could continue south towards Avignon, and maybe spend a couple of days visiting some of the attractions of Provence.

And one final thing - you really don't need to book ahead so you can make it up as you go along.