1. Default Please help - New Road Trippers

Hello!!

Me and my friend are hoping to do a road trop across America next year but we have just decided to do it and have absolutely no idea where to start, we aren't even sure where we want to cover.

We are thinking to maybe hire a car and start east and just drive west, stopping off along the way to check out towns we pass. How long will this take?? Are we looking at a couple of weeks or is a couple of months more realistic??

I live in the UK and the friend I am road tripping with lives in Australia, are we gonna need visa's??

We both need to start saving money for the trip which will determine when we can go on this adventure, how much is a realistic amount to save?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who posts a reply, I know the answers are on this site somewhere but can not seem to find them.

Thanks again xxx

Default Look at "RoadTrip Planning" Tab

Quote Originally Posted by hayleygurney82 View Post
    Me and my friend are hoping to do a road trop across America next year but we have just decided to do it and have absolutely no idea where to start, we aren't even sure where we want to cover.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! For starters you might wish to look at the articles and tips about planning a road trip by clicking on the tab called "RoadTrip Planning" found on every page of this web site, or by clicking here.
    We are thinking to maybe hire a car and start east and just drive west, stopping off along the way to check out towns we pass. How long will this take?? Are we looking at a couple of weeks or is a couple of months more realistic??
    You could easily spend 10 years driving around the USA and only see a fraction of it. On the other hand you can drive from one coast to the other in about five days.
    I live in the UK and the friend I am road tripping with lives in Australia, are we gonna need visa's??
    Depends on how long you stay -- you need to look at your own countries immigration web sites for that information.
    We both need to start saving money for the trip which will determine when we can go on this adventure, how much is a realistic amount to save?
    Rule of thumb is $125 (USD) per day per person. Here are some more threads to get you started:

A discussion about reasonable distances to drive in a day
    An overview about starting to budget expenses
    Visas and other considerations when visiting the USA
    A little about camping and road tripping!
    Some ideas about "essential" road trip gear
    Deals for insurance when visiting the USA
    Several hundred ideas of places to go exploring!

Happy Planning!

Mark

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default How Long?

How long are you expecting to be in the US?