1. Default Denver to Los Angeles--a Newbie's concerns driving over the Rocky Mountains

First of all, I'd like to say what a wonderful forum this is. I've spent about 5 hours on this site looking for ideas from searching. I just can't quite find what I'm looking for so I decided to post.

I'm not new to road tripping. I had my first solo trip when I was 18, from Denver to Dallas via US287 and I loved it! Then it was from Denver to Rapid City to see Mt Rushmore, then Denver to Chicago which was extremely awesome.

Me and my little brother will be driving to Los Angeles for the 4th of July weekend, starting Tuesday. I plan on doing this straight through, no stops. Before you all get on my case for not stopping, I don't have too much time unfortunately so I have to push through.

There's a few things that I am worried about making this trip. Until now, I've road tripped on pretty flat roads, except for to occasional trip to Dallas via Raton Pass (I-25). I will be travelling mostly through mountainous areas and I'm excited and nervous. Here are my questions:

1. How will this effect the fuel economy of my car? EPA is 28 mpg highway and at 16 gallons, I'm expecting 400+ miles

2. How often do rocks fall of the Rocky Mountains?

3. How frequent will I see gas stations?

4. What would be a safe speed limit for a newbie?

5. I'm 23 and my brother is 11--what should we see on the way? We're going via I-70 to Los Angeles and the Grand Canyon/Four Corners on our way back. Any other ideas?

6. What's the average for gas out in west Colorado?

Your answers, thoughts and ideas are greately appreciated. Thanks!

Default Are you sure you have to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by CNix303 View Post
    I plan on doing this straight through, no stops.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- if you really plan to drive from Denver to LA in one day, you need to be ready for 18 plus hours in the saddle. Depending upon your final destination in LA, it's about 1020 miles and that is a bit farther than any of us would recommend for a day's journey.
    Before you all get on my case for not stopping, I don't have too much time unfortunately so I have to push through.
    We've all done speed runs and here are some tips -- but is it really worth the risk of bodily harm?
    1. How will this effect the fuel economy of my car? EPA is 28 mpg highway and at 16 gallons, I'm expecting 400+ miles
    The elevation gains and losses won't affect your mpg more than 1 gallon or two.
    2. How often do rocks fall of the Rocky Mountains?
    There are some places that are prone to rockslides, but it is extremely rare to see them in the summer months along I-70.
    3. How frequent will I see gas stations?
    For most of I-70 and I-15, you will see fuel stations every 75 miles or so -- there is one section of I-70 in eastern Utah where there is ~115 mile gap between stations.
    4. What would be a safe speed limit for a newbie?
    Whateve the road conditions would dictate -- but certainly not more than the posted speed limits.
    5. I'm 23 and my brother is 11--what should we see on the way? We're going via I-70 to Los Angeles
    Here are some ideas along the I-70 route. And some of the less-visited places around the Grand Canyon.
    6. What's the average for gas out in west Colorado?
    You can find current fuel prices here. Here are some tips about resting in truck stops!

Mark