I'm not from USA, i just been invited to NY the last week of September 08' for some conference and as I’ve never been over there i plan to use the free ticket as an excuse to extend my trip 10 more days and drive around.
- I’m used to drive a lot; I live in Europe and move around a lot by car. Distance is not an issue!
- My goal would be to drive east to west. i would love having a quick overview of the variety of scenery the country has to offer for then making a second trip with more time on the specific locations!
- i have only 10 days...
- i don’t own a car in USA and for 10 days, rental car looks like the best option. I will only drive one way.
- Rental car is the main issue; can i rent in ny and drop in west coast? i have the felling they will rip me off. i rather drive back in two days than pay abusing fines by the rental company! is there any option? Someone told me there are companies that look for people to drive around to move cars, couldn’t find them on internet...
- i plan to drive 6hs-8hs , early and late. According to the info i found here should be possible. I’ll avoid highways as much as possible.
- i plan to sleep using couch surfing or cheap accommodations. i even considered camping’s.
- I’ll avoid getting into big cities and focus more on sightseeing and scenery
Well, hope someone has some sort of advice for this poor foreigner looking forward getting to know what usa has to offer!