1. Default chicago to houston

I am planning a road trip next week with teenage son. It is not actually from
    Chicago to Houston, it is really Urbana, IL (University of Illinois college town) to Houston, but I thought folks would recognize Chicago easier. So...any suggestions on break up of days, where to stop, etc? Would like to do it in 2 days. Son is new driver and will be practicing his skills.

Tucson, AZ

Default Great Learning Experience

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That's going to be two fairly solid days of driving, but still one of the best things I think you can teach your son about long distance driving is to break it up, enjoy it, avoid highway hypnosis and sore backsides, sample the countryside along the way, etc. Half way is roughly Memphis and that's as good a place as any for an overnight stop, maybe sample Beale St. For stops along the way, here are some along I-55 and I-40, but similar stops are available pretty much everywhere along your route. Or just pull off the highway every couple of hours and see what's available. You might also want to give your son some experience in driving cross-country on roads other than the Interstates, some of the segments of the Great River Road (Check on flooding first!) between Cairo and Memphis would be good for that as would US-59 between Texarkana and Houston.