1. Default Road Trip from MD to Oregon

Hi All,

I am planning to do a road trip from MD to Oregon in the first week of July'08.
    I would like to take inputs and suggestions on

1. how to plan this trip
    2. what route is best suitable for this - considering the tornado
    3. I am planning to do this trip in 4days, driving 12hrs a day - is it a feasible one
    4. i am looking for a safe route which will have lodging, gas pumps and other ammenities.

Pls. provide your comments.

Regards,
    Bobby

Default a little of everything

Welcome to the RTA Forum!
    1. how to plan this trip
    That's pretty much what this whole site is about. Take a look around at other threads on the forum and read the articles in the planning section, like this one which should be right up your alley.
    2. what route is best suitable for this - considering the tornado
    I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about in regards to "the tornado." There are tornado touchdowns in the US almost every day during the summer months. The most direct route would be to take I-80 to Utah and I-84 to Oregon.
    3. I am planning to do this trip in 4days, driving 12hrs a day - is it a feasible one
    That's a fair bit more than we recommend. You'll need to cover 700+ miles a day, which is a lot of miles to do for 4 days in a row. If this is a solo trip I would strongly encourage you give yourself at one more day, and even if you've got multiple drivers, it would be a very good idea to take a little more time.
    4. i am looking for a safe route which will have lodging, gas pumps and other ammenities.
    I don't know of any highway in the US that doesn't meet those criteria.

3. Default

Thanks for the response.

I was just wondering about the tornado in Ohio and should I take a different route (kind of deviate by not going thru Ohio).

Its just me who is gonna drive all the way and I presume you are suggesting to plan to do this in 5 days rather than 4days.

Regards,
    Bobby

Default unaware

I'm not aware of any tornado that has caused a major traffic disruption in Ohio, and in fact, I can't remember even hearing about a major tornado to hit Ohio recently. I'm sure there have been some tornadoes, but I don't know of any that would be a problem for this trip.

Yes, If this is a solo trip, I would strongly advise planning to take at least 5 days.

5. Default From MD To Oregon...?

Bobby (bobbysands):

I've done this trip and will do it again later this Summer. I'm in the DC Metro area. The first time I did it I also did it fast, with my oldest son, driving lots of hours each day. That was a bit rough. We took a northern route and stopped in Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Bighorn, Yellowstone, etc. All pretty quickly though.

This time around I will be headed the Southern way, and will probably visit the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Yosemite, and Crater Lake on my way to Oregon.

I'll probably end up taking at least 7-8 days, so that it is far more enjoyable.

Don't worry about tornados so much, but do keep an eye on the weather. I just drove from Oregon to MD about two weeks ago, and we went through part of Iowa that was pretty stormy. We crossed the bridge in Dubuque that a barge had slammed into just a couple of days before. Storms, tornados, etc. tend to be pretty localized climate events.

Best,

Scampi

6. Default

Thanks Scampi.

Since I am skeptical of going via Iowa, is it better to follow the below route.

79 S -> 64 W -> 70 W (hit Kansas city) -> go up and travel thru 80W -> then onto 84 W and Reach Portland.

I am just relocating and not that curious about sight seeing but will still look for places of interest.

Does the route sound fine.

Regards,
    Bobby

Default Fluid situations

There's nothing specifically wrong with going the route you've suggested.

I will say this about your thoughts regarding Iowa:

Running away from Iowa because you are afraid of what the conditions will be like in 2 weeks may very well end up being counter productive. The worst areas to travel last weekend were Central Iowa and Southern Wisconsin. Now many of those areas are drying out, but flood waters have moved to create problems along the Mississippi in Illinois, Missouri, and Southern Iowa. By next week or the week after, it could be St. Louis (I-70) and south seeing flood problems, or a totally new line of storms could create new problems elsewhere in the country, or there might not be any widespread problems by then.

Weather is a fluid situation. Areas that are fine today could be hit with storms tomorrow, and the areas that are seeing storms today could be just fine by tomorrow. We often say that in winter weather, its pointless to try and guess which route will be best more than a few days beforehand because the forecasts will always change - but the same is true in summer - and perhaps even moreso because severe storms in summer can be over a smaller area.

8. Default

That's right Michael.

Let me watch for the weather and decide on the travel route a day or two before I get started.

Regards,
    Bobby