1. Default New Jersey to Ottawa: First Timers

I'd just like to introduce myself first. My name's Zach, I'm a graduating senior from Southern New Jersey. For my friends and I, this is our final summer before we part ways to get on with life. A few of us are going upstate, a few out west and I'm enlisting in the US Coast Guard. This summer is our last hurrah, for all intents and purposes. In celebration, we've already done, and planned quite a few events. From massive manhunt games in the woods to long distance canoe and camping trips, we've got quite a summer ahead of us.

But that's not good enough. We want one more, something big.

Thus, the crazy idea of a roadtrip was planned. It started as "Hey, let's just wander New Jersey!", to "Well, why not goto upstate New York or something...", and now it has reached, "Aw heck, lets' goto Canada!"

And so, here we stand. We want to make the 450 mile trip up to Ottawa this summer. We really don't know how many cars to bring or how many people are planning on coming. We'd like to have one of the cars be my 1964 Chevelle station wagon. Sure she's old, but she's tough, strong, reliable and big. Aside from that, we don't have much planned yet in the way of getting there.

So, how about it? Five 18 year olds, fresh out of highschool. The farthest any of us have driven is to Philly and back, and we'd be taking a fifty year old car (albeit a very well maintained fifty year old car) 450 miles from home into another country.

Any advice, thoughts or plans to stop us would be greatly appreciated and probably required.

Default go for it

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Canada is a great place to travel, especially when you are in that 18-21 range. Even if you don't drink, its nice to be able to go out to the clubs/bars/etc when you are 18 or 19, depending upon the province. Actually, I think Ontario has a 19 year old drinking age, so you might want to consider some side trips into Quebec if you want to experience some of the nightlife.

Otherwise, make sure that you have your passports or birth certificates so you can easily get across the border. Expect a few extra delays (border guards will probably be keeping a close eye on you, since you'll be standing out from the crowd with your ages and your car) but be polite and respectful at the border and you should be fine.

Also bring lots of money, between the low value of the US Dollar and the high price of gas (I suspect it is $5-6 for unleaded in Canada), this trip could get expensive if you aren't careful.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Gas prices

the high price of gas (I suspect it is $5-6 for unleaded in Canada)
    Gas prices around here these days are around 1,39-1,43$CAD/Liter. You do the math!;) It gets even more expensive as you head north.

this trip could get expensive if you aren't careful.
    Amen.

so you might want to consider some side trips into Quebec if you want to experience some of the nightlife.
    I agree. Check out these cues on Montreal and Quebec City. Montreal is a city for party animals, the nightlife is vibrant and there is a lively afterhours scene to it as well (ex. : Stereo, Circus, RIP Aria). Just browse through any Nightlife Mag when you get there to know what's happening.

Default The Math

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Gas prices around here these days are around 1,39-1,43$CAD/Liter. You do the math!;) It gets even more expensive as you head north.
    So we're talking $5.25-5.40 in US Dollars/Gallon for those of us who don't speak in foreign measurments!