Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice on Which to Bring GPS? Reg. road maps/atlas?

i was wondering what would be better to bring on cross country trips.. digital-GPS handheld or in dash screens/ or Maps/atlas both? what do you all think? should i spend the extra money for the digital stuff? Is it worth the money?

I would say that if you want adventure you should go with the old way, maps.
    If you need to go from A to B in a certain time then a GPS is very handy..

Default Old school

Hello Nate-

I will say that in my humble opinion, there is no COMPLETE substitute for maps, the ability to read them, and common sense. I like GPS and navigation systems in general, but I would not leave my home county without maps.

Then again, I'm 53 years old and hold a "Curmudgeon-In-Training" certificate.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default paper

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Personally, I've never used a GPS for a roadtrip, and really have never found a need or even a use for one.

That said, plenty of people do like them and find them to be helpful, but I would never use a GPS as the only navigation tool available. A good map/atlas should be a must carry, even as a backup to the latest technology.

Default awesome

THanks guys! I definately agree with all of you! i have a gps in my car but i just feel kind of vulnerable when i go on day trips to whereever the road takes me. But Thats my fault for not taking a paper map/atlas! i'll prob take both on my Orange county run, but I'll leave the gps for when im in a time binding situation!

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Paper Maps!

There is no substitute. Of course, I'm a Curmudgeon-in-Training, too. (LOL, Foy.)

GPS can be handy for helping you find a hotel, restaurant, gas station, etc. if you need one and aren't finding one via road signs.

Default Digital reliance

I've always thought blind reliance on digitized data is troublesome. It's the kind of thing that might produce change of $165.27 when you buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds and pay for it with a $20. The cashier sees $165.27 on the display, and by George, that's what you're getting........

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Paper / digital maps

I work in software, and I too actually prefer using paper maps when on the road. GPS is great for finding places to eat, shops, etc. as mentioned, but I like using paper maps (and to some extent, digital) when on the road, and when planning a trip.

Default awesome

thanks guys ! paper maps it is! i have always liked paper more but my car has a gps and only like it because it has a voice of a female swede :) 'turn left here' ha but yeah!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Some more ideas

Here are a couple of threads you ought to read:

Tom Tom Trials

Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS