1. Default Low key NorCal trip ideas?

A while back I posted this thread about our plan for a 2 week trip from Sac to Seattle. Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to postpone this trip for another year. About a week ago my hubby took a spill on his bike and broke a major bone in his foot. It's an old injury that never healed right and so we're looking at surgery and possibly a long recovery time.

So I was wondering if anyone here can suggest a nice, mellow trip that we can take in NorCal. Hubbers will probably be on crutches and definitely not up for any sort of hikes or long walks. We might be taking our puppy with us, but we might have a friend take him to give us a more relaxing trip. We love nature, music, art and beer.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Jessi

Default Gosh...bummer on the foot!

Hope he's better soon and that surgery goes well.

I think you might still enjoy a nice leisurely drive on the coast. Eureka is a very cool town with amazing Victorian architecture, interesting shops and restaurants, etc. I would imagine there would be some good music there. You could still enjoy the Redwood forest from the car. There are several drive-thru trees along the way and just driving through these forests is amazing. Post #7 in this discussion lists the drive-thru trees. Views of the coast are great even if you have to stay in/near the car.

If this sounds intrigueing, we could point you towards more information to help you plan your trip.

3. Default

Thanks for the suggestions, Judy!

Matt had his surgery a few days ago and it went just fine. Yay! If everything goes well, he'll be able to walk again by mid August. Our anniversary is on the 23rd and I was thinking that it would be nice to take a romantic little weekend trip. I think we'll be wanting to drive to a nice, scenic place and stay in a hotel. Once we're there we'd like to take short little walks, maybe see a couple sites and enjoy the view and one another's company. :o)

I think we'll save Redwoods for another time when we can do some hiking and camping. Eureka sounds lovely, and I will keep it in mind, but it might be a little further than we'd like to drive for the weekend (we live near Sacramento).

If anyone can recommend an interesting NorCal spot and possibly a nice, reasonably priced hotel, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Jessi

Default Go West (or East), Young (Wo)Man

Two places in North Carolina that I've really enjoyed and that I think can be very nice with limited mobility (I'm not as spry as I once was!) are the Asheville area and the Outer Banks. Both offer art, music, beer, and scenery, and plenty of outdoor venues that are on essentially level ground. I might give a slight nod to the Outer Banks, particularly if you set up shop in Manteo, for the history, salt air and ferry rides, but then those are my predilections. I do think you can find quite reasonable accommodations in or near either of those locations.

AZBuck

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Two places in North Carolina that I've really enjoyed and that I think can be very nice with limited mobility (I'm not as spry as I once was!) are the Asheville area and the Outer Banks. Both offer art, music, beer, and scenery, and plenty of outdoor venues that are on essentially level ground. I might give a slight nod to the Outer Banks, particularly if you set up shop in Manteo, for the history, salt air and ferry rides, but then those are my predilections. I do think you can find quite reasonable accommodations in or near either of those locations.

AZBuck
    Oops! I'm in Northern California. lol :o) I'd love to go to Asheville, though. We went there about 2 years ago. Very pretty town.

Default Back to NorCal

Lake Tahoe is gorgeous to drive around so he wouldn't need to do a lot of walking to enjoy seeing it. But, if you're not gamblers, I'm not sure what else you'd do if he can't walk/hike better yet.

Doing a winery tour might not be too intense for him. Or how about just enjoying the coast at Monterey/Carmel area?