1. Default LA to NY via the South over two weeks

Hi, my friend is moving to New York from San Francisco at the start of the new year, and I will be joining her with at least one other friend for the drive across the country. We will be leaving from the SoCal desert about an hour east of LA a couple days after Christmas and are planning to be on the road probably from Dec 27th through January 10th or so.
    We already have tons of ideas for the Southwest and South... going through Arizona, NM, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi then up through Tennessee... but from there we aren't too committed on a plan of action. Does anyone have exciting suggestions for the east coast? We aren't too familiar at all with the landscapes/attractions. Also, being coastal Californians we aren't too prepared for driving through snow... how far up from Mississippi should we start to expect snow? Any suggestions on what to pack (obviously warm clothes and tire chains... but even we're not sure how cold it can get...)
    What we do have planned is: Austin for at least a day of relaxing, ditto on San Antonio (where our third friend will join us)... visiting my sister in Houston... then for sure a day or two in Louisiana then visiting my grandfolk in Gulfport, Mississippi. After that we are heading north for Nashville and Dollywood (I hope it's as cool as my friend keeps insisting it will be)...
    so... obviously it's a lot... but we would love to hear any suggestions or places to eat or drink in the towns we mentioned so far!
    We're into art and music so clubs or museums would be appreciated as recommendations as well. Do you think we can fit it all in over two weeks? Thanks for your time, road trippers!

Default Snow in Arizona!

Quote Originally Posted by wildmax View Post
    Also, being coastal Californians we aren't too prepared for driving through snow... how far up from Mississippi should we start to expect snow?
    You need to be ready for snow & ice in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Here are some winter driving tips and suggestions. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    What we do have planned is: Austin for at least a day of relaxing,
    you might enjoy looking for fossils -- lots of places to explore near Austin -- you need to remember, you are going to be traveling at a traditionally wintery part of the year.
    We're into art and music so clubs or museums would be appreciated as recommendations as well. Do you think we can fit it all in over two weeks? Thanks for your time, road trippers!
    By the fastest possible route, it would take five days of 8-10 hours per day to cover this trip -- so with two weeks, you will be able to see some of those places, but you really need to be watching the weather as you go.

Mark

3. Default Thanks

I appreciate your comments! Now that I think about it, I remember seeing snow in Santa Fe when I went there as a child. It turns out our friend Jess is pretty experienced with chains and driving in the snow, but she's the one we are picking up in San Antonio, so her expertise probably won't come into play until midway through our first week. I got some reading to do...
    Fossils sound awesome! We will definitely look into that.
    Thanks again. I need to get my co-travelers on this forum so we can get some more questions circulating.