KiwiTraveller Guest

Default East & West Coast with child

We are coming to USA from New Zealand on 11th December, and flying back out (of Honolulu) on 9th January.

Other than a family reunion for 3 nights over christmas in Vegas, we have no plans, other than wanting to see as much of USA in that month as we can.

My idea at the moment is to spend 10 nights travelling from San Francisco to Vegas (via LA, San Diego and Tuscon) first, then flying from Vegas to Washington DC and spending 10 more nights between Washington DC and New York, before flying to Honolulu.

I will be travelling with my wife and our daughter who will be 15 months old at the time.

Any advice? Is this too ambitious? Too much travelling with a kid? Any places you can recommend along the way? Apart from Vegas and Honolulu, nothing is set in stone yet :-)

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default I think that sounds like a good plan.

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

It's really only about 2 days drive from San Francisco to Vegas (if you drive the interstate). If you take the coastal route to LA before heading to Vegas, figure more like 3 days. So 10 days gives you plenty of time to meander, explore, stop for the kid's needs without feeling rushed, etc.

Same with your Wash DC to NYC leg which is only 225 miles so could easily be done in one day. Plenty of time.

As for traveling with kids...this discussion should give you a lot of good ideas on how to do this in a way that makes everybody happy. Of course, at 15 months, your daughter will be too young for some of these but use the ideas that will fit for her age. Of course, traveling with a child can be unpredictable but, with the 10 days for each leg, you will have plenty of time to modify your plans for the day to meet her needs and still make it to your destination without feeling rushed.

If you want ideas for what to see and do, it would help if you gave us an idea of what kinds of things you enjoy.