Default South Louisiana to Quebec City, Advice Needed

Advice needed on traveling thru the New England Area. I am planning on driving my daughter up to Quebec City for french immersion school this summer. I need advice on which highways to take / avoid in the New England area. The straightest google map route takes me thru Birmingham, Nashville, Cleveland, etc. It also routes me thru Montreal (which makes me slightly nervous....I've read about driving thru Montreal).

Or should I bypass Montreal by going choosing a different route and going thru Vermont???? Any help would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default There's Always an Alternative

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While I've driven through Montréal and have had no problems doing so, like any large city it can be intimidating and if you want to avoid it, there are ways to do so that won't add too many miles to your trip. From Birmingham, take I-59/I-75/I-40 up through Chattanooga and Knoxville to I-81 and follow that all the way up to Binghamton, NY. Next I-88 to the Albany area and I-90 through western Massachusetts to Springfield and I-91 north along the Connecticut River through Vermont. After crossing the border into Canada, QC-55 will take you north to join Autoroute-20 to Québec. That route avoids not only Montréal but also Cincinnati, Cleveland and Buffalo while adding only 100 miles to the whole trip.

Default Thanks

I appreciate your help. The route that you have suggested sounds great and along the lines of what I was thinking.

I agree with you in regards to the intimidation factor of large cities. I have driven thru Tampa (although it was years ago) and Mom lived on the outskirts of Houston awhile back.

All in all, I am excited. Every trip is an experience. I have my atlas and a new gps waiting to be broken in :)

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Bienvenue!

Bonjour Pinkie,

I believe Quebec City is just about perfect for French immersion since most of the population only speaks French. If your daughter stays out of the touristy places, she'll learn French in no time!

As for the itinerary, I think it would be a lot faster for you to take the roads that Buck suggested until Albany but instead of going east on I-90, I'd make you head north on I-87. I-87 becomes I-15 in Quebec. At the junction of I-10, you can by-pass Montreal by taking QC-132 east along the St. Lawrence River and then merge on I-20 east towards Quebec City. It's a much more faster route in my experience, but the road suggested by Buck is a but more scenic. I-87 north of Albany offers great views of the Adirondacks and runs more or less along the west shore of Lake Champlain. As you reach Plattsburgh, the terrain becomes pretty flat and it stays pretty much that way until you reach Quebec City.

Since you'll be passing through this beautiful city, you might as well visit some of its attractions. Plus, the city is celebrating its 400th anniversary this year so there will be a lot of festivities throughout the summer in addition to its usual festivals.

Bonne route!

Default Merci !!

Merci Beaucoup Geneviève

My daughter is taking classes at the Universite' Laval for the summer. I debated on whether to fly or drive. She is staying for 5 weeks and is packing a bit of stuff and I figured with the airline's fuel surcharges and extra baggage fees and taxi to and from the school that it would be expensive either way. Plus, I haven't driven thru the New England area and I know that it is beautiful.

Also, I wanted a neat vacation too!!

I am bringing a friend. I have planned for a day walking thru lower town. A day thru upper town and taking in some of the shows for the festival d'ete.

I also would like to visit Montmorency Falls, Saint Anne de Beau Pre and Ile D'orleans.

I live in South Louisiana (Cajun Country) and french is spoken here (mostly by the older generations). I do not know much, but I think I will be able to get by.

Thank you for the help on planning the route. I was trying to avoid Montreal because I know the traffic can get heavy there at certain times and I do not know exactly when I would have passed thru that area.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Une ville charmante

Bonsoir Pinkie,

My daughter is taking classes at the Universite' Laval for the summer.
    I will attend Laval too in September. The locals are very warm and friendly. I didn't know a soul when I moved there last year and I made friends surprisingly easily.

I debated on whether to fly or drive.
    Always go for roadtrip!! It's an excellent opportunity to let go, relax and take in all the beautiful scenery. Plus, it gives you more time to adapt to the environment. Whenever I fly it takes me at least one full day to fully adapt to the climate, language, people, etc.

I doubt you'll be satisfied with only a couple of days of walking in Quebec City, but it's better than nothing at all:-) By the way, there's a brand new archeological discovery that was made available to the public only 2 weeks ago : the ruins of old Ft. St-Louis under Terrasse Dufferin. There is no entrance fee and the site will be open for a limited time. They will cover it back later this year so it is a unique chance for locals and tourists to explore this jewel.

I don't care much for Ste-Anne-de-Beaupré personally, but the Cyclorama de Jerusalem is worth it and so are the Montmorency Falls and Île d'Orléans. Also, the Charlevoix Region that begins a few kilometers east of Quebec City is a must see if you have some extra time.

Bon voyage!