1. Default lake powell trip

traveling from St. louis to Lake Powell the week after labor day. We will be pulling our boat(8900 lbs) with 2007 Titan. Planning on taking I40 to flagstaff then 89 to Page. Looking for any advice on the diffilclty of hills on I40 after Amarillo especially 89 out of flagstaff. Also any interesting places to stop along the way. Plan on 4 days out, 10 days around lake powell, no set time for drive back.

Thanks

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stl454 View Post
    traveling from St. louis to Lake Powell the week after labor day. We will be pulling our boat(8900 lbs) with 2007 Titan. Planning on taking I40 to flagstaff then 89 to Page. Looking for any advice on the diffilclty of hills on I40 after Amarillo especially 89 out of flagstaff. Also any interesting places to stop along the way. Plan on 4 days out, 10 days around lake powell, no set time for drive back.

Thanks
    Lake Powell is a great boating destination. And your timing is great, with the kids back in school. Rt. 89 certainly has some hills to climb, but it's a nice road, easy to navigate with no sharp switchbacks - you shouldn't have any problems. I can't comment on Rt 40 in NM, never been there.
    You will be going right past The Painted Dessert and the Petrified Forest National Park on Rt 40 in AZ - about 50 mi. from the NM border. And naturally there is the Grand Canyon!! An easy day trip from Page, is Monument Valley. It was one of the highlights of our trip in 2006!! (In that same area is the Navajo National Monument that we found a waste of our time).

Default I-40 hills

Hello STL454-

I traversed I-40 from NC to CA a few months back and did so in a fullsize Chevy pickup, 4.3 liter V6, 5 speed manual. Given the underpowered nature of the truck, we "felt" the grades a lot, as we had to downshift to 4th on some of the steeper or longer ones.

I suppose you'd hit I-40 at Oklahoma City so will start there: The grades in western OK are long and gentle, but they're there. It's not pancake flat by any means. You're climbing up to Amarillo's elevation and, to the best of my recollection, it's around 2,500' higher than OK City and much of that is picked up in westernmost OK and around the TX line.

I-40 is a little less gently graded in eastern NM, as you drop into eroded canyon country. There are generally longer and a little steeper grades between the TX line and Albuquerque. There are a handful of fairly long and steep ones within about 30 miles of Albuquerque.

Between there and Grants, NM, fairly flat. From Grants to Gallup, all gently uphill (at a railroad grade of steepness) for 30-40 miles to the continental divide.

From the AZ line to Flagstaff, gently graded with a handful of long, steeper ones.

As we blew past towed campers and boats, I thought to myself "This is not a towing trip I'd enjoy making". Make sure your cooling system is 100% up to snuff, and if your transmission is automatic, make sure you've got a freshly-flushed auto tranny with high quality synthetic fluid, and give serious consideration to installing a high-quality ATF cooler AND a trans fluid temp gauge. Heat buildup is the principal enemy of automatic transmissions and long tows is the best way to generate fatal auto trans fluid temps. I'd pay close attention to recommendations as to towing in overdrive vs not using overdrive, too. Some pickups have a "tow/haul" auto trans setting which is intended to deal with heavy towing issues, to some degree.

Best wishes and have a great trip,

Foy

4. Default

Thanks for the info.