1. Default SC coast to Adirondacks

I'm planning a weeklong driving trip from the SC coast up to the Catskills and Adirondacks during the week of July 19 through July 26 and would love any input from fellow board members regarding 'must see and do' stuff and trying non-reserved lodging.

My husband, a 12 year old niece and I will be leaving the Myrtle Beach area on Jul 19 and spending the first night on the road in Annapolis. Crab dinners! Then we want to bolt up to the NY mountains on Sunday for the rest of the week and just meander about and explore. I've traveled around most of the States, but have never been around Lake Placid and the area. It's all about the Poconos, Catskills and Adirondack, right?

I'm hoping it will be cooler up north and want to enjoy lots of outdoor time. I'd rather not make reservations for every night in advance so that we are free to roam. Is the area likely to be jammed packed at that time of the summer, making the free range idea a bad one? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Default It's Gotten So Bad It's Good

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With the current financial woes and gas prices, summer travel is expected to be down a good bit this year, so I would be fairly confident that you can find lodging, and good deals, on the fly. Annapolis is a great town to stroll around in, particularly at sunset. Check at the visitor's center to see what guided (or self-guided) tours they may have available. There are also bus/jitney tours available. The on your 'bolt up to the NY 'mountains' see if you can make just a little more time to drive through Amish country south and east of Lancaster, PA and to take US-209 through the Delaware Water Gap. Once in northeastern New York, there are some great scenic and historic sites at Lake George, Crown Point and Fort Ticonderoga. Also well worth the time would be to drive up to Lake Champlain and take a ferry over to Burlington. In particular, I think that you and your niece would enjoy touring Shelburne Farms. On the way home, if you want something different, and to avoid most of the larger east coast cities, you can use I-88/I-81/I-74.

AZBuck

3. Default catskills

I used to go to college in Upstate NY and I love the ride on route 17.

The area between Roscoe and Hancock is my favorite. I just want to jump out of my car and do some fishing in the river.

Delaware Water Gap is cool too. But, if the traffic if bad- you are going to be stuck for a while.

-Kirby

4. Default

I camp every summer in the Adirondaks at Cranberry Lake. It is beautiful there. It is about 45 minuets from Lake Placid. To get there you need to go through Saranac Lake. They make great beer there.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by apet20 View Post
    I camp every summer in the Adirondaks at Cranberry Lake. It is beautiful there. It is about 45 minuets from Lake Placid. To get there you need to go through Saranac Lake. They make great beer there.
    Great local beer? I'm in! Thanks - beautiful Cranberry Lake is on the list now.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The on your 'bolt up to the NY 'mountains' see if you can make just a little more time to drive through Amish country south and east of Lancaster, PA and to take US-209 through the Delaware Water Gap. AZBuck
    Thanks so much for the welcome - we'll be at the Celtic Fling in a couple weeks at the PA Ren Faire site in Manheim PA and will be checking out Lancaster while there. I had thought about touring the Delaware Water Gap after seeing it on the map and surfing up some info about it, so I hope we can fit it in. Thanks for seconding the area, Kirby, and will try to be 'traffic' wary!

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Once in northeastern New York, there are some great scenic and historic sites at Lake George, Crown Point and Fort Ticonderoga. Also well worth the time would be to drive up to Lake Champlain and take a ferry over to Burlington. In particular, I think that you and your niece would enjoy touring Shelburne Farms. On the way home, if you want something different, and to avoid most of the larger east coast cities, you can use I-88/I-81/I-74.

AZBuck
    And thanks for the heads up on Champlain, Fort Ti, and the others. I've never heard about Shelburne Farms, so will do my research there. I bought a Rand McNally atlas with large type on Sunday and am planning on using it - the Adirondack Park nearly fills a whole page and will provide a good overview for us.