1. Default My first roadtrip!

Hey everybody this is my first time on this website and this is my first roadtrip.

I'm from Alberta, Canada. I just graduated high school and as a grad present a friends parents are paying for all the food and gas for a trip into the U.S. On top of that I have 2000 Cdn saved.

We have a very rough idea of what we're planning to do. We're going west into B.C. and then south into Washington>Oregon>California. After that we plan to make a return trip but we have no idea what states to drive through.

The places we'd prefer to visit are L.A., San Francisco, Vegas, Grand Canyon.
    We have approximately 2 weeks but could go longer, doesn't matter too much.

So my questions are as follows.
    1. What are some must see's and do's in the states listed. We've never been to six flags so we're kinda hoping we could find one of those, but what else?

2. What trip back should we take?

3. What are some must haves on a road trip?

4. What are some things i should know being a canadian coming into the country.

That's about all but I greatly appreciate any advice or even a whole different road trip, this is just in the planning stages. Thanks.

2. Default

Hi Drake!

Congrats of your graduation and first road trip. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun!

For your return trip, since you want to go to Vegas and the grand canyon, why not head back north that way and go through Utah (Zion, Arches and those national parks are pretty neat) and up to Yellowstone.

Default Congrats on graduating

And welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    We have a very rough idea of what we're planning to do. We're going west into B.C. and then south into Washington>Oregon>California. After that we plan to make a return trip but we have no idea what states to drive through.

The places we'd prefer to visit are L.A., San Francisco, Vegas, Grand Canyon.
    We have approximately 2 weeks but could go longer, doesn't matter too much.
    It would be quite easy to veer through all of these areas before returning home. If you want to share where home is, we could give you more specific tips.

So my questions are as follows.
    1. What are some must see's and do's in the states listed. We've never been to six flags so we're kinda hoping we could find one of those, but what else?
    There is a 6 Flags/Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA. This is just a tad north of LA on I-5.

Gosh, there are so many things to do in those states! It will be hard to pack it all in in just two weeks. Especially if you do Grand Canyon, too. Here are a few posts that you might want to read that will give you some ideas.
    California ideas
    Washington & Oregon ideas

2. What trip back should we take?
    It's hard to say since we don't know where "back" is. After Grand Canyon, you could take any number of roads home. Where are you going from there?

3. What are some must haves on a road trip?
    This discussion will tell you what some of us carry. At the very least, you need the basics: maps, flashlight/extra batteries, fluids to keep hydrated, blanket, working spare tire & tools to change tire, basic tools, car manual (if available), and flares or emergency triangle.

4. What are some things i should know being a canadian coming into the country.
    Driver's license (or other photo ID for non-drivers), passport, proof of insurance for the car. If anybody is under age 18, a notarized letter from the parents saying it is OK for them to cross the border.

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know. Happy planning!