1. Default Back home from Spokane, WA

Hi there!

A friend and I are taking a road trip out west this summer (planning on leaving June 20th). We're leaving from NE Tennessee (Johnson City). We are going to drive some of Route 66 to LA, drive up the California coast to Seattle and then drive to Spokane, Washington to visit an American Indian Reservation. Getting there is almost completely planned-we're using Road Trip USA for several suggested routes, but have not quite found a starting point on Route 66, but the route for getting back is the hurdle right now. We have several places we want to hit, so if anyone has any suggestions as far as order or what kind of route to take, please let me know. Here are our points of interest:
    *Glacier National Park
    *Grand Teton National Park
    *Salt Lake City
    *Rocky Mountain National Park
    *Denver, CO (family)
    *Black Hills (SW South Dakota)
    *Mt. Rushmore (SW South Dakota)
    *Badlands (SW South Dakota)
    *St. Paul/Minneapolis

From Chicago, we'll drive home or go to Cincinnati and then back to Johnson City. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Tucson, AZ

Default With All the Time in the World, Maybe

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, the sights you've listed for your return drive are pretty literally 'all over the map' and there'sno reasonable route that would include them all. So I'm not going to try, instead I'll suggest a route that is within about 25% of the shortest return route (2,500 miles) and still includes as many of the places on your list as possible.

From Spokane, take I-90 east across northern Idaho to St, Regis, MT, then MT-135/MT-200/MT-28 to connect with US-93/US-2 to West Glacier to take Going to the Sun Road through Glacier Park. On the other side, I-15/I-90/US-191 will take you to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Use US-212 to leave Yellowstone and connect with I-90 again past the Little Bighorn, Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands. From the Rapid City area head south/west on US-161/SD-79/US-18/US-20/I-25 to RMNP and Denver. From there it's a relatively straight shot home on I-70/I-64I-40/.