Thread: Am I crazy?

Default Am I crazy?

I have taken my share of short road trips with friends, and I backpacked Europe alone for 2 months, but, my next endeavor may be a bit much. I'd like to hear what everyone has to say!

I am planning on leaving in February of 2009, and going on a US road trip. I plan for this solo road trip to last anywhere from 6-9 months. I will be stopping twice, once in Florida and once in San Diego, to spend a few weeks with friends, but the rest of it will be me by myself. I want to drive, camp and hostel it through as much of the US as I can. I will start in NY, go south to Florida, and then West to Cali, North to Washington, and then East back to NY, with many, many, many stops along the way.

Is this completely ridiculous, or doable?

Tucson, AZ

Default You're Asking the Wrong People!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

We all share your desire to be on the road. We'd love to be in your shoes and have the freedom to do what you are contemplating. If you have no responsibilities tying you down, if you can afford the time and expense, if it's something you enjoy, why not?

3. Default me too

Hey Wanderlust,

I'm taking a trip in a few weeks-

Long Island to
    VA to
    Grand Canyon to
    San Diego to
    Vancouver to
    Yellowstone to
    Minn to
    Chicago to
    Buffalo back to

It will be about 9 weeks long- me and My 8 year old son.

I'll be blogging alone the way and posting some information here. I hope my experiences can help you out.

I too feel that I'm alittle crazy- but it's a trip of a lifetime.

Default neighbor

I will be starting my roadtrip from LI as well. I live in Nassau. My prelim plans have changed because I don't know how to read a calendar! My new start date should be in April/ May..not February as planned..

Default Any good resources?

I am planning to embark on a 6-8 month solo roadtrip starting next Spring. Along the way I want to do some backwoods camping, but am not so keen on doing all the camping solo. I was wondering if there are any resources or groups for meeting like-minded campers and fellow travelers to hitch up with and perhaps share a few sites together. I know there is a "share the gas" board, but this is something a bit different.

Anyone have any ideas on how to orchestrate meets along the way with people who will not butcher me, or sell my body parts?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default There are several RV-related resources

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust524 View Post
    I know there is a "share the gas" board, but this is something a bit different.
    There are several RV-related solo travel organizations -- must are not "dating services" -- rather they exist to enable solo travelers to hook-up for companionship along the way. Perhaps this would be a good place to start your queries: Loners on Wheels