1. Default LA to the Hamptons! (Can we do it?)

Hi- I am new today to this sight. I am driving from LA to NY June 30th (leaving at 5am) with a husband and 7 & 12 yr old kids. We HAVE to be in the Hamptons by July 4th (Fri eve). Google says 1 day + 17hrs (yeah right!)I thought I'd take their route but stopping each night late to sleep. How long really will it take. Cost: $600, Hotels $50-80 Per night, food (cheap)- whereas flying is $1000 one way for 4 and car is $1200 to ship plus when you fly its a 10 hr ordeal anyhow..Help roadtrippers!

Default Five Days Minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I am driving from LA to NY June 30th (leaving at 5am) with a husband and 7 & 12 yr old kids. We HAVE to be in the Hamptons by July 4th (Fri eve).
    That is going to be pushing hard! By the shortest possible route it is 2900 miles (I-15 to I-70) you will need to average 580 miles every day. With food and fuel stops and time to let your kids run around a bit, you need to be on the road for 10 hours every single day to cover this much ground.

Here are some tips about planning family road trips.

But mostly you need to drive as far as you can each day (sleep in and let the kids play in the motel pool) and repeat for five days! Which sort of makes the one 10-hour ordeal seem reasonable (by airplane).

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for quick response! It looks like we will ship car/fly going and drive NY-LA coming back in Aug where we can take our time and stop in MI and visit friends in NH. I'll definitely be in touch for more advise at that time. Thanks again..