Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drive 1 car, ship the other

2 50.00%
  • Drive both cars

2 50.00%
  • A third option that's posted in a reply

0 0%
  1. Default Dallas, TX to Sacramento, CA - 1 car vs 2?

I'm moving from TX to CA in June. My original plan was to ship my Ford F-150 so my wife and I could take turns driving her Mountaineer.

Well, shipping costs have gone up, and now we're wondering if the $1K it would cost to ship is worth not having to drive 2 vehicles.

We have overnight stops planned in Tucumcari, NM and Kingmill, AZ. We can't do much sightseeing on the way because we'll have two 75-lb dogs in the Mountaineer, and we're staying at KOA campgrounds (renting cabins).

I've been browsing the forums and I know a lot of you may see this trip as no challenge, but neither one of us is accustomed to driving long distances. We were counting on taking turns driving every 2-3 hours, but obviously can't do that if we decide not to ship the truck.

1) Is it worth driving 2 vehicles to save difference in shipping costs and to avoid having to deal with a shipping company? (I posted it as a poll just for fun, if it works)

2) If we do decide to drive them both, any tips on making the trip easier for us?

Thanks.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

The trip would definitely be more enjoyable being able to switch off every few hours, especially if you are not accustomed to driving long distances. I've never had to deal with a shipping company so I cannot answer that question for you, but if you are taking both vehicles, I would suggest making rest stops every couple of hours and getting out and walking around...which would be the same advice I'd give if you were only taking one vehicle and switching off.

Quote Originally Posted by bikejason
    We have overnight stops planned in Tucumcari, NM and Kingmill, AZ.
    Do you mean Kingman?

Default Maybe 3

You're talking about 2 pretty heavy vehicles, but have you considered renting a trailer and towing one vehicle behind the other? That would allow you to drive together, without paying to have your car shipped.

Otherwise, it sounds like a matter of money or comfort. I suspect you'll be more comfortable and have a better time if you drive together - and that comfort could very well be worth the extra money needed to ship the car. Of course, if money is a bigger issue, I think driving both cars would be the cheapest option.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Do you mean Kingman?
    Oops, yes, I meant Kingman.

5. Default Thanks very much for the replies so far

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    You're talking about 2 pretty heavy vehicles, but have you considered renting a trailer and towing one vehicle behind the other? That would allow you to drive together, without paying to have your car shipped.
    I did consider that option, but when I checked on renting a trailer from UHaul they told me I couldn't use their equipment to tow a 4dr F-150 with a Mountaineer or vice versa.

My mother-in-law asked my wife if she could come along and help with the driving. Would having 3 drivers with 2 vehicles change the decision much?

Default Personal

You're kind of asking questions that only you can answer. Certainly having a 3rd person would allow at least one driver to have company and one person to relax at any one time. Of course, then you have to figure out how you are going to divide things - is everyone going to drive the same amount of miles, who will be riding together and who will drive solo, how is the MiL going to get home, who pays for that, etc.

We can lay out the pros and cons, but there isn't a one size fits all answer for this kind of question.

Default Ship it

Hello Jason,

I'd ship it. I estimate nearly $500 in fuel cost alone for the F150, assuming 15mpg and $4/gallon gas. Running fast w/the air conditioner running on the Interstate might well take you below 15 mpg, and who knows where fuel prices are headed tomorrow or next week? The $500 does not include anything for wear and tear on the truck or the possible expense of breakdowns/tire trouble. Even counting zero for that, the roughly $500 extra cost punches out to <$17/hour over the 30 hours of drive time, which is, to me, worth it in terms of staying fresh in one vehicle by switching drivers several times a day along with the intangible advantage of not worrying about how each other is doing, keeping together, etc. Taking the MIL along adds to meals and motel and includes a flight home and those costs drives me more to the shipping advice.

If you do drive both, be sure to take along a pair of the inexpensive FRS frequency radios. They're a very handy way to chat and keep one another alert during the trip.

Good luck!

Foy