1. Default 2 week CA roadtrip - advice needed

Hello all:

First of all... this a great website. The plethora of information on this site is simply incredible.
    Coming back to the matter in hand... I want to take my wife on a road trip in California. We are both under 30.
    Dates: Aug 22 - Sept 6 - 2 weeks
    I will fly out from NYC to SFO or SMF and rent a car from there.
    I was hoping to include the following in the intenary:
    Sacramento - 1 night. I have a friend whom i have to visit.
    San Fran - 2 days / 2 nights - do the loca tourist attractions.
    Drive down from north to south on the coastal road - What places should i plan on stopping at and for what duration.
    San Diego - 2 days / 2 nights - lazy around on the beach... is there anything else to do here?
    LA - 3 days / 2 nights.. do the universal studios - disney land - hollywood blvd - rodeo drive etc.. check out some night clubs (recommendations?)

take the US5 from LA to SFO and fly back to NYC... Both of us love water. Never been to CA for travelling.

I am assuming $900 for the flight. $750 for the rental car. $500 for gas. $1400 for hotel and motel stays. $ 1400 for food and recreation including all tickets and such - is that a fair estimate?

Default Good times!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

San Fran - 2 days / 2 nights - do the loca tourist attractions.
    While this discussion also covers other areas, there's some good info here about San Francisco, too.

Drive down from north to south on the coastal road - What places should i plan on stopping at and for what duration.
    Here's a great explanation of the beaches along this route. I highly recommend that you also visit the fantastic Hearst Castle.

San Diego - 2 days / 2 nights - lazy around on the beach... is there anything else to do here?
    Yes, there's LOTS to see and do in San Diego.

LA - 3 days / 2 nights.. do the universal studios - disney land - hollywood blvd - rodeo drive etc.. check out some night clubs (recommendations?)
    LA is a big place so pick your lodging carefully so you're not driving through the congested LA traffic more than you need to. Even though I've done quite a few trips to LA, my time has been spent at Disney, Universal, and Knott's Berry Farm, for the most part. I'm a sucker for rides. So I can't help too much more with this.

take the US5 from LA to SFO and fly back to NYC... Both of us love water. Never been to CA for travelling.
    That's about 400 miles. I'd either get out of LA ultra-early before the morning commuter traffic gets thick or wait until later in the day after it has subsided a bit.

I am assuming $900 for the flight. $750 for the rental car. $500 for gas. $1400 for hotel and motel stays. $ 1400 for food and recreation including all tickets and such - is that a fair estimate?
    Hotels in San Francisco are pretty expensive so you might want to pad the hotel funds a bit. $100 per day for food and recreation might also get rather tight. It really depends on what types of restaurants you want to eat at. If you're going to do fastfood and lower-priced restaurants, you should be OK. However, some admission fees are pretty high. Disneyland and Universal will definitely take you way above your $100 budget for those days. Especially if you are going to be eating inside those parks. Tickets for Disneyland are $91 each, and $64 each for Universal.

You're visiting some expensive areas with expensive entry fees so this trip is going to cost more than a typical roadtrip.