rarnes1 Guest

Default HELP>>> Car hire companies which dont require a full licence held <1 year

Hi Folks,

Im new to this website and already finding it fantastic.

Im going to california and Vegas with my girlfriend next month from Ireland and as part of our journey i want to drive from San Fran to Santa Barbara on the coast road to take in the amazing views along the way.I have already booked a night in Big Sur and we are meeting up with friends in Santa Barbara.

I only need the car for 3 days max but its one of the parts of the 2 week holiday im really looking forward to.

Now to my problem....I will have a full Irish licence 8 months in June but every single Car Hire company state in their t&c's that a full licence of at least 1 year is required. I have been told that some hire companies dont check the issue date of the licence but im sure if i had a crash my insurance would be void so i would not risk that.

Can anyone help me on this? Is there any hire companies which dont specify the 1 year min requirement??

Im 28 and will be 29 when (hopefully)renting

Rds
    rarnes1
    Last edited by rarnes1; 05-26-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Default I would check Irish firms

Quote Originally Posted by rarnes1 View Post
    Im going to california and Vegas with my girlfriend next month from Ireland and as part of our journey i want to drive from San Fran to Santa Barbara on the coast road to take in the amazing views along the way.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I would suggest that you contact car rental firms in Ireland and the UK, since you might be able to make arrangements in person that you could not achieve on the Internet.

I hope you can work it out. Here are some threads for additional information:
    A quick overview about the types of rental car insurance
    Considerations about insurance from an international visitor perspective,
    Some route suggestions for your trip.

Happy Planning!

Mark

rarnes1 Guest

thanks Mark. tried ringing a few of them and no luck.

Surely there must be one company out there willing to rent !!

Default Sorry...

Has your girlfriend had a license for more than one year? If so, maybe she should rent the car in her name. I was unaware of this one-year rule until your post but it's possible it's ok for the secondary driver to only have a license for 8 months as long as the primary has been licensed longer. Or maybe she will just have to do all the driving.

I think the only thing we can suggest is to exhaust calling all the agencies in the UK. You also might do a web search for agencies in the US and start contacting them. I just googled "car rentals los angeles" and got a list of car rental agencies. In addition to the big guys like Hertz, Avis, etc., there were some smaller companies I have not heard of that are probably more locally-based. I suppose it's possible they don't have the same kind of restrictions. So you might do the same kind of search and start contacting some of those smaller car rental agencies.

I think it's wise not to try to pull a fast one and try to rent with the hope they won't look at your license. I'm sure they will want a copy of it and you wouldn't want to show up expecting a car just to be denied at the counter. And, of course, the liability issue if you were in an accident is important. So I can just wish you luck in your search.

This is one of the companies I found and I see nothing in their FAQs about needing the license for one year. It just says that it must be valid during the entire rental period. Here's another one. There are a lot more out there.

Good luck!