1. Default las vegas to yellowstone to denver

four of us (an irish girl and three belgian boys) have rented a car for 15 days in september,
    we plan to spend one full day in LV and then drive around to see the grand canyon, yellowstone and some other nice things inbetween
    and we fly home from denver at the end.

what are the best things to visit and to see in the area between LV and yellowstone??
    where are the best places to stay?
    which are the best nature parks?

we'd love to hear your input !!

Default Fall is a perfect time of year

Quote Originally Posted by hilary View Post
    four of us (an irish girl and three belgian boys) have rented a car for 15 days in september,
    Welcome to American and to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    we plan to spend one full day in LV
    One day is pretty short to see Las Vegas and the area around here. Here are some local day trips and here are some of the things we like to do in Las Vegas.
    and then drive around to see the grand canyon, yellowstone and some other nice things inbetween
    and we fly home from denver at the end.
    Here are some tips about the Grand Canyon area and some excellent trip reports from Utah from UK Craig and Gommy. -- If you have ever thought about riding a mule into the Grand -- here is must-read from Syv.

Mark

Default This should be a great trip!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

You might check out this map for an idea of what you might do. This route goes: Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Arches National Park (NP) - Yellowstone NP - Grand Teton NP - Bryce Canyon NP - Zion NP - Las Vegas. The drive is gorgeous and also takes you through some interesting cities like Salt Lake City. Plus, except for the short areas where the "figure 8" crosses, you will be driving fresh roads and seeing new things the whole trip. And the sights from these roads are pretty incredible. This is about 2100 miles so it's very do-able in 15 days.

Of course, this isn't the only way to make this trip. It's just the way that I'd probably do it.

I can't give you much in the way of lodging recommendations as I tend to camp. I'm sure others will pop in with suggestions. Be aware that you will want to get reservations in for Grand Canyon and Yellowstone fairly quickly as they are quite popular. September should be a bit less crowded but I'd still get my lodging set up fairly soon. You probably won't have much trouble with lodging at the other locations.

4. Default

Thanks for your advise so far!
    We figured out that it will be difficult for us to stay in the parks as we don't know exactly which days we will be in which place, so we can't really book anything in advance... any advise for nice places (motels? small towns??) that we could stay that are close to yellowstone/ grand canyon/ bryce?

It's a one way trip so we are trying to figure out exactly how much we can fit in between LV and Denver. but we still wanna be pretty relaxed! or what are the MUST-SEE places!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    One day is pretty short to see Las Vegas and the area around here.
    we are arriving monday evening and planning to leave on wednesday afternoon

when in September are you going?

6. Default

we are arriving in vegas the 1st of sept and leaving from denver on the 15th
    (and we have 6 days in new york before we go to vegas!)
    Last edited by hilary; 05-28-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Default There are options

Quote Originally Posted by hilary View Post
    We figured out that it will be difficult for us to stay in the parks as we don't know exactly which days we will be in which place, so we can't really book anything in advance... any advise for nice places (motels? small towns??) that we could stay that are close to yellowstone/ grand canyon/ bryce?
    You could stay in Flagstaff and Williams. You shouldn't have trouble finding a motel in either. Flagstaff is about 1.5 hours away and Valle is about an hour away. You might have luck in Valle, AZ, as well but the closer you get to the Grand Canyon, the less chance you have of getting a room by just driving up.

It's a good idea to get a list of hotels in Valle and calling ahead the morning you know you're going to be getting there (or maybe the day before) and seeing if you can get a reservation then. I often do that if I'm traveling without reservations into areas that are really crowded for some reason.

Be aware that it can take a long time to get through the entrance to Grand Canyon due to all the incoming traffic. We got there late morning and it took almost an hour. To avoid this, you might want to get there quite early.

For Bryce, right outside of the entrance is Ruby's Inn. I pulled up in the early evening and got a campsite there. I have no idea if the hotel is as easy to get a room in or not. The parking lot for the hotel looked full but not packed so it's possible you can just drive up. Or, again, call a day or two before to make your reservation.

There are quite a few lodging choices in the general Bryce Canyon area, expecially in Panguitch and Tropic, so you might get a list of the other choices, too, to have handy to make that call. Ruby's is just the closest to the entrance.

8. Default

Thanks for all the advice, I have printed all the details and put them in our travel folder !

So far this is the plan that we have worked out
    We are starting to think that we will have to drop one of the things that we want to see because we don't have enough time at the end.
    and we will be driving A LOT !

I think we all really want to see bryce, but someone told us that Moab is the best this to see around there, I just don't know if we have enough time to do both. (we could also drop one day of Las Vegas and just stay overnight there)

what do you think?

day -
    1 - 19h arrive in Las Vegas
    2 - Las Vegas
    3 - drive 300miles to Grand Canyon
    4 - drive 300miles to Moab Arches
    5 - Moab Arches
    6 - drive 250miles to Bryce
    7 - Bryce
    8 - drive 300miles to Salt Lake City
    9 - Salt Lake City
    10 - drive 300miles to Yellowstone
    11 - Yellowstone
    12 - Yellowstone
    13 - Yellowstone
    14 - drive 550miles to Denver
    15 - 10h depart Denver

also, do you know of something between yellowstone and denver that we should look at?

9. Default something like this

We start in (A) Las Vegas

(B) Grand Canyon

(C) Bryce Canyon

(D) Moab Arches NP

go then through Salt Lake City to

(E) West Yellowstone WY .

(F) Denver , CO .