Default Sag Harbor to Memphis - again!

I'm taking my Road King back down to Memphis to see my brother, an old biker who is running out of road due to cancer. Last time I went via 71 and 40 with a side route vis the Skyline Drive in the Smokey Mountains - that was great!
    This time I have more time and was thinking of taking a more scenic route, and maybe more northern.

Any tips on great biking roads?

Tucson, AZ

Default Alternatives

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With three or four days to make this trip, you can wander a bit, and although I'm not a biker, I would suggest some of the following roads for some riding and scenic pleasures. I-78 and I-81 are certainly good roads to get you out of the New York metro area and on your way, but once past Harrisburg, you might want to try US-15 down through Gettysburg and then MD-77 westward through the Catoctin Mountains. (This is the area around Camp David.) Then old US-40 will take you farther west up the Potomac River valley. At Cumberland you can turn south on US-220 through the Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area, down to pick up US-60, the Midland Trail into Charleston, WV. That would set you up for some more Interstate riding, I-64 and I-65 to Mammoth Caves. My last recommendation would be to take the Natchez Trace southwest from Nashville and finish by using US-64 across southern Tennessee into Memphis. All of those detours and alternate routes add only about 150 miles to your 1200 mile trip