Default Colorado Springs to Miami, FL

My husband and I are road trippin from Colorado Springs to Miami, FL. We are going to travel down Colorado; through the very NE corner of New Mexico; across Texas; and then follow the coast down to Miami. My husband has never been on a road trip and he is leaving for Iraq in September. So it is really important to me to make this trip really fun.
    So if anyone has fun suggestions of things to do in these states I would really love to hear them.
    Thanks for your time.

Tucson, AZ

Default Starter Set

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your cut across new Mexico will take you right by Capulin Mountain, and extinct volcano that you can drive to the top of and hike around - great views out across the plains to the east. Next up would be Cadillac Ranch which certainly qualifies as out of the ordinary. If your husband is interested in space (he is a boy after all) consider a slight detour to Houston which would also set you up to see a unique area of America by taking the Creole Nature Trail through Louisiana's 'outback'. In any event, New Orleans should certainly be on your itinerary as should Gulf Islands National Seashore south of Pensacola. Hopefully, those suggestions will get you started on seeing what's available on this drive.

Denver, Colorado

Default Denver to Miami

My wife and I are planning a similar trip next month. We're driving from Denver to Miami, we're originally from South Florida so it'll be nice to "see" humidity again :).

You mention you'll be passing through "...the very NE corner of New Mexico...". If you stay south on 25 and hit Albuquerque there a few interesting stops you could make.

I'm not sure what your time frame is, we're giving ourselves just under three weeks. 6 days down, 6 days in Miami, and 6 days back to Denver.

Our plan is to take I-25 south to Socorro NM, head west on 60 and see the VLA, a radio observatory that has 20+ huge antenna's used to monitor the sky. There's a visitor center with tours available.

While in the area we plan to check out Roswell, White Sands National Monument and possibly Carlsbad Caverns.

New Mexico should eat up two days at the least. The rest of the trip is unplanned, and we'll keep it that way.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help for the entire trip but hopefully you got a couple of good ideas of things to do in New Mexico.

Good luck on your trip and safe return to your husband from Iraq.