1. Default Interstate 80?? San Francisco to Donner Pass

Hi All

I'm really excited about our holiday and want people's opinions!

We're arriving in the US on the 30th August for 3 weeks and planning to do this:

3 nights in LV (including a visit to the Hoover Dam)

1 night in Joshua Tree NP (passing through the Mojave)

2 nights in Hollywood (La Brea Tar Pits, Walk of Fame etc)

4 days travelling up Route 1 (definite stops at Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey)

3 nights in San Francisco

?? Interstate 80 to the Donner Pass (advice needed - is this a good route and what should we stop and see)??

2 nights in Yosemite

2 days travelling Route 395 down to Death Valley taking in Bodie, Mono Lake, Devil's Postpile, the Great Basin bristlecone pines, some hot springs, Manzanar internment camp, Mt Whitney

3 nights in Death Valley (entering through Panamint Springs) and visiting Artist's Drive, Dante's View, Devil's Golfcourse and Zabriskie Point

Back to Vegas and home (boo, hiss!)

Does this look realistic, and are we getting the most out of the route? We want the right balance of razzamatazz and amazing and beautiful natural history.

Thanks for your comments.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default misrouting

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You look like you'll have lots of time to really soak up the areas you'll be visiting.

However, the one place I'm not following your plan is the title line of your post. If you go from San Francisco to Yosemite, you wouldn't go anywhere Donner Pass. The Yosemite Valley is on the west side of the Sierra, so you'd want to go there first, and then presumably cross the Sierra via Tioga Pass, going through Yosemite National Park in the process. Using I-80 to Donner Pass would be well out of your way.

3. Default Donner Pass first

Hi Michael. Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of taking I80 to Donner Pass and then dropping down to Yosemite. Is that silly, or too much for one day?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default The thing with mountains

Well, I guess you could do it, but it would mean spending nearly half your day doubling back. Since there is no way to directly go south from I-80 to Yosemite, Once you got to Donner Pass, you'd have to double back all the way to Sacramento.

All told, you could do it in a pretty long (close to 10 hours, likely) day, but personally, I would just spend more time exploring Yosemite. Unless you've got a specific and exceptionally strong desire to see Donner, its just too many miles and too long of a detour for it to make sense to me, so.