1. Default East coasters venturing to Arizona and San Diego

In June we are planning to fly into Phoenix for a nine day road trip. We heard that the drive from Phoenix to San Diego is great. Any must see places on I-8 west of Phoenix to San Diego?

We want to spend one day in San Diego. It isn't long, but we really want to make it to the Pacific Coast and have limited time. Does anyone have any things to see in San Diego that we don't want to miss?

Then we will leave San Diego and follow a route from San Diego to the Grand Canyon. Another thread suggested a route on I-8, 111, 78, I-10, 60, 89, 89-A, and 180 to the Grand Canyon. How long should this route take with some scenic stops?

We will spend a couple days at the Grand Canyon, the go to Lake Powell. Any advice about that area?

Then we want to see Flagstaff. Are there other scenic towns that would be worth our time to visit?

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Looking at the map, I'd say the route you found would take about 10 hours.

A couple of other options out of San Diego:
    I-15, CA-70, CA-371, CA-74, I-10, I-17 then North from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon. Joshua Tree is on this route.

The quickest route is I-15 to I-40, which would bring you by the Mojave National Preserve

As far as near Phoenix, one option is is the Sonoran Desert National Monument

Some other popular locales in the Arizona neighborhood are Lake Havasu City (where the London Bridge is), Williams (classic Route 66 town), and Kingman (another route 66 town).

3. Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. Is Joshua Tree worth a visit? We don't know much about traffic in the area of San Diego. What time of day is best to leave the city?

Default Two Thoughts

Two quick thoughts.

First, in San Diego (actually Santee) there is the ICR's creation & earth history museum (

And an outstanding loop to make in AZ would be from Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome, and then Prescott. I hear the area has grown quite a bit since I was last there so perhaps one of the professional travelers/moderators could give more info. However, last year we traveled through the eastern portion jumping off at Holbrook and going through St John, Show Low & Eager--just beautiful, beautiful country.

Although you have tons of options, I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip regardless of what part of AZ you choose.
    Have a great trip!