1. Default Chicago to Washington DC

Hi. I'm planning a two week trip from Chicago to Washington DC. I've got most of my trip planned and was looking for a little help filling in the last bits.

I'm looking at taking two days to drive from Chicago to Toronto. Any suggestions for a good place to spend the night? And anything I should try not to miss on the way? Does it take a long time to get over the border?

I'm also thinking of taking two days to drive from Toronto to New York. Again, any suggestions of where to stay and what to see?

Any suggestions or any links to similar topics would be great.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default first leg

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Chicago to Toronto can actually be done in one day's drive, so breaking it up will be a matter of taste. Detroit/Windsor would be the most major city enroute, and it would be roughly halfway.

There are a few things you could potentially stop at, but its hard to say what you'd want to stop at without knowing more about your interests.

Crossing the border times depend largely on traffic, but I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 30 minutes or so at any of the 3 crossings in Eastern Michigan. Just make sure you have your passport out and ready to go to speed up the process as much as possible.

3. Default

Thanks Michael. I'd like to do it in two days so we can slow the pace down a little while we're outside the big cities. I was thinking Ann Arbor between Chicago and Toronto and Ithaca between Toronto and New York City. I think they'll both be about half way?

We're going to leave the car in New York because I don't think we'll need it there or Washington and I don't think it makes sense to rent one for an extra 5 days just for one drive of about 4 hours. I was considering dropping the car off outside of New York and getting a train the last few miles to avoid driving into Manhattan. Is there a suitable town for doing this in or would it be best just to drive in?