1. Default Detroit to NYC road trip- tips wanted

Hi ,

1) I am driving all alone from Detroit to NY on thursday evening, planning on reaching NY by 9-10 AM friday...sounds realistic?..
    2) I want to take a break after a straight drive of 6-8 hrs and rest for 3-4 hours in some motel on the way..any suggestions which city along the route I should take a break? .. I am travelliing along I-80 all the way
    3) Hows the road condition on I-80....can I drive around 70-80mph mostly? hope I'll have company on the freeway
    4) I'll drive back the same route next week..but during the day..any good places to stop and do some sightseeing?

Ant other travel tips..highly appeciated!
    - U

Default Here's my best guesses

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

I'm giving you guesses because I've never driven this stretch of road. I'm answering based on the experiences of all of us here roadtripping in various parts of the country. Hopefully someone will pop in with answers more specific to this stretch of road.

1) I am driving all alone from Detroit to NY on thursday evening, planning on reaching NY by 9-10 AM friday...sounds realistic?..
    I guess this all depends on what time you're leaving on Thursday. It's about 615 miles. We generally figure that people can average about 53mph east of the Mississippi. This includes alloting short periods of time to stop for fuel, food, bathroom breaks, etc. and also accounts for common traffic conditions like congestion, construction, etc. Based on this, it would take you about 11.5 hours to make this drive. I'm thinking you would need to add some extra time for the morning traffic going into NYC as well. Maybe an hour or more?

I hope you're planning on sleeping all day Thursday before taking off on this drive. Driving at night without sleep is quite dangerous.

2) I want to take a break after a straight drive of 6-8 hrs and rest for 3-4 hours in some motel on the way..any suggestions which city along the route I should take a break? .. I am travelliing along I-80 all the way
    If you're tired and need a break, you should simply do it when you're getting fatigued instead of planning an arbitrary stop somewhere. There should be no shortage of exits with lots of hotels to choose from along this busy, well-traveled stretch of highway. However, if you're going to do that, you will really need to factor those hours into your departure time to make your arrival time in NYC work. Because of all of this, I can't help but wonder why you don't leave earlier on Thursday and just get a good night's sleep somewhere instead. Is 3-4 hours of sleep really going to be enough? I don't think so. Not to keep you alert and driving safely.

3) Hows the road condition on I-80....can I drive around 70-80mph mostly? hope I'll have company on the freeway
    I live in a rural area and traffic is 24/7 here. I have never been on a stretch of interstate without plenty of traffic at all hours of the day and night. I can't imagine that the high-density population you're driving through would be any different. I expect that you will have plenty of company.

4) I'll drive back the same route next week..but during the day..any good places to stop and do some sightseeing?
    I'll have to leave that to someone else more familiar with that area.

Please read our speed run tips so you can do this as safely as possible. I think you're far better off to either leave earlier on Thursday and stop for a more decent period of sleep that night, or plan to get into NYC later in the day.

Default I-80

I-80 is heavily traveled, and you will definitely have company at any time of the day or night. I have most recently been on I-80 in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and the conditions were, for the most part, quite good. I'm quite sure you won't average 80mph, but if you are doing your traveling mostly at night on the first stretch, you at least won't have to deal with as much traffic. Even still, I am always amazed at just how much traffic there can be at times in larger cities late at night.

I don't envy you attempting a morning commute into NYC.

Default Been there

I've driven much of this stretch at night, just in reverse. I left NYC around 10 pm and stopped for the night at State College, PA. There's remarkably few towns through much of this stretch through rural PA - as most of the cities are a few miles away from the actual interstate. As with any Interstate, you'll have options every so often, but there will be an occational stretch of 30-40 miles without 24 hour services.

Doing 70 mph shouldn't be a problem, but if you do 80, you could be a big target for a big ticket.

I'd agree that this is a very long distance to try and do in a single overnight. If you aren't used to being up late driving into the night and you haven't had significant sleep during the day Thursday, then you shouldn't try to do this whole thing in one night.